Hated laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
New SSD. Tech said it’s 20 times faster than before. I told him that’s not much improvement.
I will pick it up tomorrow. We talked about the RAM but IDK if that went in.
The problem with laptop RAM is you usually can't add that much, and even doubling what you have is typically pretty anemic. But it depends on what you do.

MD Automation

Occupation
Engineer
No new RAM. Things appear to work.

Now what to do with the 1T hard drive they removed. Suggestions?
If you have any reason to want some storage space that does NOT reside on your laptop, you could purchase a (relatively) cheap Hard Drive USB dock and use the old 1TB for backup(s).

My guess is it might have been a 5400 rpm drive (should say so on the label). I had a work laptop a month - basic new lower end Dell Inspiron. Super sluggish and and wanted to throw it thru the window so many times. But simply swapped the slow HD out for a new SSD, made no other changes, and it's a night and day difference.

I would recommend, if you felt like getting an external dock for the old drive, you could use it to store periodic images of your entire laptop. Just in case something should ever go south like a hardware failure, stolen laptop, ransomware, alien abduction, or spill morning coffee into the computer. My favorite for making entire image snaphots of the whole computer would be Macrium Reflect. Because it works and it's free!

Just a thought.

RumRunner

Occupation
Retired EE
The problem with laptop RAM is you usually can't add that much, and even doubling what you have is typically pretty anemic. But it depends on what you do.
That’s true.
Laptops. . . unlike desktops have limited features in terms of their capability of being upgraded. Even slots for extra memory sticks [modules] are very limited or non-existent for a majority of brands.
This is one reason that when I’m approached by friends and family members asking to upgrade their laptops—I just tell them to buy a new one if processing speed bother them.
Changing or increasing memory does improve performance but not always. . . worst case scenario, it makes them slower if haphazardly done as in not setup properly.

Hard drive problem is not the only cause of slowdowns but it is the most observable.
I’ve had a number of different models of ThinkPads before IBM sold the rights to Lenovo the Chinese computer maker.

Over a period of time such as extended use—the hard drive develops bad sectors. This becomes problematic when bad sector/s develop in the file system. You won’t notice it right away because the machine still works but screwy.
It is much easier to t-shoot if the problem develops in the boot sector. Boot sector failure means NO GO.
So, no go-- no mojo. . . take a trip to Best Buy or browse eBay. :)

The processor takes longer to do the processing whenever a bad sector gets in the way.
It will try to work around it but it adds to the processing latency to get over it –hence, the slowdown.
There are ways to solve it like performing a low level format-- meaning blocking the processor in using the questionable sector to speed up the operation.
Conventional hard drive is electro-mechanical component while SSD is totally solid state—no motor.
The easiest solution [as had been suggested] is to replace the hard drive with SSD. They don’t develop bad sectors.. . . but Trojans and malwares could cripple them.
However, as with most newer innovations there are drawbacks.
I have a stock of [conventional] hard drives for both desktops and laptops.

The ones that developed bad sectors are those that I bought second hand. . . .not those brand new ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.