Have you ever had this happen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

c2500

I was installing a double switch today (looks like a receptacle). I had purchased a Cooper brand switch. I thought it was different than the last one I installed, and then realized it was a Leviton, complete with Levition instructions. Not sure if it was a return that someone swapped out, or does Cooper do work for Leviton?

Thoughts?

c2500

peter d

I've noticed the same thing. My only guess is that Cooper was in the process of redesigning their combination devices and dropped the ball, so had to rebrand the Leviton stuff while they were working on it.

I noticed the new Cooper combination devices are completely different (and much better) from the old style, and now made in China of course.

bikeindy

I started to buy a 4 way switch at lowes one day and realized through the window of the box that it looked a bit strange. I opened it and there was a P&S 20 A single pole switch in that box. My only guess is that some trunk slammer who couldn't afford a 4way switch bought it installed it and took advantage of lowes great return policy. I took it up to the customer service counter and said, "you might want to log that as a loss."

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
bikeindy said:
My only guess is that some trunk slammer who couldn't afford a 4way switch bought it installed it and took advantage of lowes great return policy.
Maybe he switched boxes before he even bought it, so he paid SP price for a 4W switch.

jdsmith

ptonsparky said:
I have bought edison base fuses that had one brand name on the box and the other brand inside. A Klein tape measure purchased at a supply house cost a small fortune, only to peel the loose label back to see Stanley.

I was talking to the counter guy yesterday and he said all Klein tapes are made by Stanley. He also said almost all strippers are made by the same company, except that the customer can specify different hole sizes if they want to.

In the early 90's I spent a summer working as a security gaurd at an office building. When we did our rounds we had to carry this device with us that looked almost like an old school canteen (the round kind). It was basically a clock that had a paper scroll in it that would move as time went on. When we got to a station there was a key there that we would stick into the Detex clock and turn making an impression on the paper to prove what time we were at a certain location (obviously each key had a unique imprint).

A few years later when I started electrianing full time I opened a box of drive straps from OZ-Gedney and in that box was a blank for one of those Detex keys. I'm not exactly sure how the assembly lines crossed but I guess it happens.

c2500

I happened by Lowes this morning and discovered to my dismay that all of the combo switches...no matter what color are made by Leviton even though they are in Cooper boxes. Sadly,the colors are off compared to the cover plates. You would think they could at least get that right if they are reselling the things.

c2500

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
c2500 said:
I happened by Lowes this morning and discovered to my dismay that all of the combo switches...no matter what color are made by Leviton even though they are in Cooper boxes. Sadly,the colors are off compared to the cover plates. You would think they could at least get that right if they are reselling the things.
At least you know to buy Leviton plates.

powerslave

bikeindy said:
I started to buy a 4 way switch at lowes one day and realized through the window of the box that it looked a bit strange. I opened it and there was a P&S 20 A single pole switch in that box. My only guess is that some trunk slammer who couldn't afford a 4way switch bought it installed it and took advantage of lowes great return policy. I took it up to the customer service counter and said, "you might want to log that as a loss."

I wasn't so lucky to find the error at the store. Like you I bought a 4-way drove 1/2 hour to customers home only to open the box and find a 3-way!:mad: Oh, well. Buyer beware.:roll:

Now I open everything I buy at home centers or supply houses for that matter.

mdshunk

The P&S stack switches are Slater brand in P&S boxes. They also don't feature a ground screw, so be aware of that. I guess that makes them unsuitable for new work?

peter d

mdshunk said:
The P&S stack switches are Slater brand in P&S boxes. They also don't feature a ground screw, so be aware of that. I guess that makes them unsuitable for new work?

What's funny about that is P&S bought Slater in 1988.... (according to their website.) More than enough time to change the tooling and redesign that product line. :confused:

I guess the combo devices are low volume sellers that don't warrant attention?

mdshunk

ItsHot said:
It is to the point where you need to inspect everything you buy!:mad:
Even when you do check stuff out, and it appears that it's all there, when you get to installing it, Murphy's Law says there will still be that one little doo-dad that is missing.

Status
Not open for further replies.