Hazadous wire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamie c

We are developig a portable device that can be lowered into a C 1, D 1 location for inspection purposes, but are having a hard time finding a flexible wire that will work for us. Any thought on where to find a good source.

Jamie c

Jamie c said:
We are developig a portable device that can be lowered into a C 1, D 1 location for inspection purposes, but are having a hard time finding a flexible wire that will work for us. Any thought on where to find a good source.
We need a wire that has 8 conductors of 24 or 26 gauge braided wire, that is rated for DIV 1, CL 1. So far we have a rated wire with a plastic outer jacket, then a metal conduit. This is not giving us enough flexibility. We have searched high and low. Don't know if there is such a thing made or not.

kameele

Take a look at 510.140 Flexible cords in Div 1 and 2. If your device is to be used in an industrial location, you can use extra heavy duty cable (SOOW or the like) that does not have a specific hazardous location rating. A few other installation requirements, and it may be a little hard to find SOOW cable that small, but sure seems like it would work for your application.

Spaz

Jamie c said:
We need a wire that has 8 conductors of 24 or 26 gauge braided wire, that is rated for DIV 1, CL 1. So far we have a rated wire with a plastic outer jacket, then a metal conduit. This is not giving us enough flexibility. We have searched high and low. Don't know if there is such a thing made or not.

Also in Ontario here. We use Teck cable, with the appropriate connectors it is fine for C1 D1. Teck looks like Sealtite but is filled and thus no vapor can travel through (again using the appropriate Teck connectors available from the same). Ask Westburne or Gerrie electric, although they might have to special order 8-conductor Teck, I'm sure 4-conductor Teck is readily available if you can live with using two cables.

I'd rather go with the braided cable and EYS seals personally, however it gets really expensive if you need long lengths (i.e. longer than a couple feet).

Status
Not open for further replies.