Hazardous Material Storage Containers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have not been able to contact any resources to clarify a question I have on bonding metal barrels that are used to store bad gas, petroleum, and paint. I have a metal storage shed that is all metal construction-metal beams, and metal siding with no floor which is used to store the hazardous material for later collection. In place of the floor there are plastic pallets that the metal barrels are sitting on. Other than the barrels being metal themselves they are not touching any other metal sources or structures in the shed. There also is no electricity in the shed at all. The shed is about 20 feet from the main building.

I have been asked by the environmental group at the facility in question to bond the metal containers storing the hazardous material for static discharge. My question is two fold. For one, if I bond the barrels to the shed like they are asking me to will that make the situation worse? The other question is should I instead bring over and Equipment grounding conductor (EGC) from the main building to the shed and bond the barrels to the EGC?

I am not sure which is the better solution for this. According to the NEC table 515.3 Outdoor Drum Storage the shed is considered a class 1, division 2, zone 2 location. My main concern is safety, I am concerned that bonding the barrels to the building would not accomplish a solution for static discharge (especially since the barrels are sitting on plastic), and bonding the barrels to an EGC could cause an issue if somehow the EGC were to loose its connection to the source disabling its ability to carry a fault back to cut the breaker. If anyone could offer some insight on this matter it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Michael Devens
Facilities Electrician

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
there is a lot more worry over static electricity than is warranted IMO.

all you really care about for this kind of thing is that there is no place where you have a voltage differential. the bonding wire does that nicely. no need to run an egc anywhere. just tie everything together electrically. could even do it through 1 megOhm resistors. it does not matter all that much.

there is a lot more worry over static electricity than is warranted IMO.

all you really care about for this kind of thing is that there is no place where you have a voltage differential. the bonding wire does that nicely. no need to run an egc anywhere. just tie everything together electrically. could even do it through 1 megOhm resistors. it does not matter all that much.

Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.