Hbiss: Krone/110 Blade Tool

Status
Not open for further replies.

dereckbc

Staff member
Or to anyone who knows these tools.

Looking for a punch tool blade to fit the old Harris D-814 impact tool to terminate BIX, 110, and what maybe called a KRONE block.

It appears Fluke now owns Harris-Dracon Tools and cannot determine which impact tool bit is used for D-814 to terminate both a BIX and 110 block. Narrowed it down to either a 10565-110 or 10565-000.

Do you know for sure? The one I have is busted and half the blade is missing and there are no part numbers on the blade to find replacement. I know a standard 110 tool does not work as it damages the special Lucent BIX block (maybe a Krone type) it is used for. Need to buy a few blades for for techs, and at $55 a pop is not cheap to afford a mistake.

Last edited:

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Krone, Bix and 110 all require different blades. The Krone and Bix blade links above will give you the correct part numbers.

That said, the new Krone blocks can be punched down with a 110 blade as well as a Krone blade. They also can be double punched, meaning two wires on a clip. But unless you are intimate with Krone you will have no idea what is new so the best approach is to always use a Krone blade for Krone and only one wire per clip.

-Hal

dereckbc

Staff member
Thanks Hal, but I believe BIX and 110 are about the same mechanically for a tool, and it looks like Fluke makes a tool that fits 110/BIX/KRONE in one tool bit, amd another that fits all BIX and 110 only. So armed with that info I will order one bit to see if it fits all 3 and go from there.

THX

Dereck

Rampage_Rick

8417.jpg
wao270165_pcds.jpg
d914sn.jpg

I've got a Greenlee Bix blade (which is actually made by Harris) It has a mechanical scissor action to trim the wire, as opposed to the chisel tip on a normal 110 blade. BIX blocks don't have an 'anvil' for a chisel tip to contact.

Personally though, I find that BIX blade clumsy. I have the specific Nordx BIX tool, which I prefer over BIX blade. The Nordx version trims the wire much shorter and cleaner, as well as it has a no-cut setting, whereas with a BIX blade it's a matter of chance. I'll use the D914S for everything else.

dereckbc said:
It appears Fluke now owns Harris-Dracon Tools and cannot determine which impact tool bit is used for D-814 to terminate both a BIX and 110 block. Narrowed it down to either a 10565-110 or 10565-000
AFAIK there is no combo BIX blade available. They do make a 110/Krone "dually" blade, which is 10565-110. This is the most complete listing of blades I've seen: http://www.datacomtools.com/catalog/blades.htm

Last edited:

mdshunk

I got my BIX blade from Nortel, for the Harris-Dracon handle. Pretty neat. It's got a little pair of cam action scissors on it. Mike Sandman is THE source for all this oddball stuff, however.

EBFD6

In my experience, the combo blades don't work that well. IMO you are better off to buy the BIX tool and Krone tool separately from your 110/66 punch tool. The combo blades are kind of akward and not really the same operation mechanically. JMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.