HCF in non-patient care area of hospital

Status
Not open for further replies.

rick hart

I need some perspective on this one.
There is a situation where lighting in a file room of a hospital needs emergency lighting. The lights installed are lift out type in a hard ceiling, above which are ducts, plumbing, all kinds of stuff. The problem is the new wiring will need to be fished between 2X4 fixtures- conduit cannot be installed correctly without breaking out the ceiling. I want to use HCFC to fish from fixture to fixture using batwings to keep the cable off of the ceiling. However, HCFC is not to be used on Emergency Systems of hospitals according to the manufacture (I have not found that restriction per NEC yet).

This area does not meet the definition found in 517.2 for Emergency System since there is nothing vital to life and safety. The intent is to connect to the delayed connection equipment standby branch. Emergency egress lighting is already installed and adequate to get out of this area but not read the labels.
I'm not trying to finagle out of doing what is right but I am at a loss why a patient bedside can be wired with HCFC on the normal branch but file room lighting on emergency would require a higher standard.
Thanks in advance for your help.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Re: HCF in non-patient care area of hospital

Rick, see 517.30(C)(3)(3)(c) in the 2005 (changed from the 2002) for permission to do this.

In reality you don't have a situation anyways,
The intent is to connect to the delayed connection equipment standby branch.
the "Equipment Branch" is not part of the emergency system and does not come under 517.30(C)(3) so MC, AC, or FMC could be used for this project.

Roger

[ April 08, 2005, 09:47 AM: Message edited by: roger ]

Status
Not open for further replies.