Healthcare Facility or Not

Status
Not open for further replies.

john_axelson

I am currently looking at a project in a Kidney Dialysis Clinic. No anethesia, 12th Floor of an Office Building definitely doesn't have a life safety or critical branch.

Do the receptacles that are to be installed need to be Hospital Grade? There are no specifications on the project and I can not find this requirement. Does the wiring need to be Hospital Grade MC or conduit/wire with ground?

I believe that it does need to be wired in accordance to Article 517, but the GC that I am bidding to is not requiring it from the other bidders.

Just wondering what you think.

Thank you,
John

raider1

Staff member
Kidney Dialysis Clinic.

Sounds like a health care facility to me. Check out the definition of health care facility in 517.2

Does the wiring need to be Hospital Grade MC or conduit/wire with ground?

The wiring method employed in the patient care areas need to comply with 517.13.

Chris

iwire

Staff member
gardiner said:
You might want to check with the local inspection department as to how they will classify the project.

I would agree with that if the NEC did not provide a clear definition of a Health Care Facility.

517.2 tells us in part that portions of buildings in which medical, nursing care is provided are Health care facilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.