Heat Detector in Elevator Machine Room

trace2385

New User
Occupation
Fire Alarm Technician
In regards to a heat detector located in an elevator machine room for the purpose of triggering the elevator shunt trip, is the heat detector supposed to send a supervisory signal or a fire alarm signal in addition to triggering the shunt trip? This is for Washington state installations. I can only seem to find information regarding placement/rating/temperature rules but nothing that states what type of event on the fire alarm system it is supposed to be. Any insight is appreciated.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
In regards to a heat detector located in an elevator machine room for the purpose of triggering the elevator shunt trip, is the heat detector supposed to send a supervisory signal or a fire alarm signal in addition to triggering the shunt trip? This is for Washington state installations. I can only seem to find information regarding placement/rating/temperature rules but nothing that states what type of event on the fire alarm system it is supposed to be. Any insight is appreciated.
I can't speak directly to any Washington state requirements, but generally it would be an alarm signal. Backing up slightly, the purpose of the heat detector in the elevator machine room is to give early warning that the sprinkler will soon activate. There has to be a heat detector within 24" of each sprinkler in the elevator machine room, and it has to be set to a temperature below the sprinkler activation temperature. Unless there are Washington state amendments, if there are no sprinklers in the machine room, you should not put heat detectors in the room for shunt trip.