Heat detector location

Status
Not open for further replies.

anbm

Commercial building: which code can I find where is heat detector required? Looked through NFPA-72, I only saw it is required at elevator machine or elevator shaft to protect the elevator... Does it require in kitchen, computer room or some where else? Thanks.

NFPA 72 basicly dictates how fire alarm equipment is to be installed, tested, and maintained. Other building codes such as NFPA 101 and even elevator code, as you mentioned (ASME A17.1), will dictate required equipment. Of course, the local AHJ and fire alarm engineer/designer can also specify equipment based on special site conditions or local codes. NFPA 72 5.4.6/ 5.7.16 (commentary)

NFPA 72 does reference using heat detectors in place of required smoke detectors where conditions might cause unwanted alarms. NFPA 72 4.4.5/ exception #1--probably referenced elsewhere within NFPA 72 also.

Back when I was installing required residential fire alarms, heat detection was required in kitchens, mech. rooms, and garages--but this was only a local code developed by the regional bldg. dept..

Status
Not open for further replies.