Heat pump

Status
Not open for further replies.

JdoubleU

Every time this heat pump kicks on the voltage at the panel drops from 238 volts to 218 volts and there is a chattering sound in the building. This only happens for about a few seconds. The current on the compressor runs at about 23 amps but goes up to about 118amp when it kicks on. I think the chattering is a lighting contactor somewhere vibrating when the voltage drops. Not knowing a lot about motors does this look normal.

iwire

Staff member
The starting current can be expected to be about 6 times the FLA.

Many times a soft start kit can be added to HVAC equipment.

As far as the noise if the conductors are in raceways it may be the conductors vibrating in the conduit.

mdshunk

stickboy1375 said:
So, are they called soft start or hard start kits? :grin:
You could maybe use a soft starter. Mini-splits do, from the factory. In the field, we add hard start kits. Basically more start capacitance with another potential relay in a convenient package. You can make your own hard start kit with a cap and a Mars relay from the HVAC supply house for 1/2 the cost, but the hard start kits are too easy and convenient to bother.

JdoubleU

mdshunk said:
Sounds about right to me. This gets worse as the compressor ages. Look into installing or causing to have installed one of these:

http://www.supco.com/images/pdfproductsheets/E Class Prod Sheet.pdf

Also, check the start capacitor's measured microfarads against the capacitor's label.
I thought about installing one of thoughs but not sure how. The unit has a start cap and a run cap the run cap is for thefan and it runs fine. I would want to install it with the cap to the compressor, but it is a start cap and the installation instruction does not say anything about installing them with a start cap.

JdoubleU

hard start kit for hvac

hard start kit for hvac

Thank you all for the info you have shared. Another question to add is how to install a hard start kit to a compressor? The instructions say to put it in parallel with the run capacitor. This compressor only has a start capacitor. Do I put in parallel with the start cap. or replace it with the hard start?

Status
Not open for further replies.