Heat shrink on building wire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atxrl1983

Is it ok to heat shrink colored tubing on to a wire to change the color. After the heat shrink I typed up a label with all the wire characteristic and manufacturers information. Would this be ok for the nec.

iwire

Staff member
It depends on the use, wiring method and color of the existing wire.

For instance we can change the color of a white conductor in a cable but we cannot change the color of a white conductor in a raceway.

I usually use tape to change colors and I have never written down the info on the wire I have covered up.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
It depends on the use, wiring method and color of the existing wire.

For instance we can change the color of a white conductor in a cable but we cannot change the color of a white conductor in a raceway.

I usually use tape to change colors and I have never written down the info on the wire I have covered up.

It also depends on the size. I think you can only remark above #6.

Atxrl1983

Color

Color

I ran 3 wires to a compressor rack. 2/0 high voltage colors. It calls for 208 wire. I heat shrink to change the colors to 208. Red black blue. In doing this I covered all the makings on the wire. To fix this I made a label to show the markings

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
Is it ok to heat shrink colored tubing on to a wire to change the color. After the heat shrink I typed up a label with all the wire characteristic and manufacturers information. Would this be ok for the nec.

I think if the AHJ approves my red you sound OK.

310.110 Conductor Identification.
(C) Ungrounded Conductors. Conductors that are intended
for use as ungrounded conductors, whether used as a
single conductor or in multiconductor cables, shall be finished
to be clearly distinguishable from grounded and
grounding conductors. Distinguishing markings shall not
conflict in any manner with the surface markings required
by 310.120(B)(1). Branch-circuit ungrounded conductors
shall be identified in accordance with 210.5(C). Feeders
shall be identified in accordance with 215.12.

(B) Method of Marking.
(1) Surface Marking. The following conductors and
cables shall be durably marked on the surface. The AWG
size or circular mil area shall be repeated at intervals not
exceeding 610 mm (24 in.). All other markings shall be
repeated at intervals not exceeding 1.0 m (40 in.).

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I don't think that there is any code rule that says we cannot cover up the markings that the manufacturer is required to place on the conductors.

fmtjfw

The following applies to power wiring above 50V:

You can change the color of any size wire with a few exceptions.

If the wire is smaller than #4 (or not larger than #6) and is the grounding; grounded; DC grounded; DC +; or DC -, then the insulation itself may be required to be green or absent or green/yellow; white or gray; white; red; or black. [Search for these color names in the NEC]. There are other ways to mark DC conductors as well.

If the wire is a repurposed white [gray?] wire in a cable used as a feed to a switch, it must be additionally marked with any color but white or green. White or gray can not be repurposed in this way in a raceway.

You may additionally mark a small conductor which is properly marked for its specified use as a grounded conductor to differentiate it from another grounding conductor. Consider a 4 wire/G cable white, white/red, black, red, bare.

You may mark an ungrounded conductor in any way you wish, avoiding white, gray, and green.

You may mark the grounding conductor by the absence of insulation, green, green/yellow, and probably green/and any color other than white, or gray.

The grounded conductor in a power cord may be colored light blue.

There are a few other special color combinations for specific applications.

There are more exceptions for industrial with supervision ....

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
But the inspector may want to see the markings (at rough in?) to verify the wire type.
If so, will he trust your label?

There are often installs where the inspector can't read the information that the wire manufacturer put on the wire after the installation has been completed. Most of the time that information would be visible on the rough inspection.

I just am not aware of a rule that says that information has to be visible after you have completed the installation. The rule only says that the manufacturer has to put the markings on the wire.

Status
Not open for further replies.