Heath Zenith Motion Flood

Status
Not open for further replies.

steve_p

Customer wanted a motion / flood over the garage door. I hit the garage circuit installed a 240 deg hit from Home Depot. Did not work, the lights continually detected motion as if it were in test mode.
Returned it, picked up the 270 deg kit with 90W halogens.

Seemed to work okay. Next day, customer called and informed me the lights remained on all night.

Anyway, now I am way in the hole and frustrated.

I go to Heathco site and find this:

"INDUCTIVE PULL: Electrical devices that contain a coil will cause the light fixture to turn on without detecting motion if the device is on the same wiring circuit as the light fixture. Possible items that may trigger the fixture are: Ceiling fan, transformer, garage door opener, a fixture using a compact fluorescent (CFL) bulb (or any type of ?energy saving? bulb), overhead fluorescent lighting, or an electrical device using a coil plugged into a receptacle on the same circuit. If the device with the inductive pull is not removed from the same circuit as the light fixture, it will eventually lead to the failure of the sensor and the light will stay on all the time or start flashing on and off. Follow the steps below to determine if there is an inductive pull on the same circuit."

There is a gable end attic fan on this circuit, along with fluorescent, lights, freezer, garage door opener...............

Has anyone else experienced this?

I can't understand why a filter is not built into the detector, especially if this is a known issue.

Any thoughts if RAB motions are susceptible to this?

Thanks

cpinetree

Give RAB a call, their tech support is very good.

From their website: http://www.rabweb.com/support.php

Talk to RAB

Give us a call:

Phone (888) RAB-1000
Phone (201) 784-8600
Fax (888) RAB-1232

As a side note, we will only supply and install RAB motion sensor lights, if the homeowner wants a cheap one, they can supply it, and we will install it. This way any return calls are billable.

Last edited:

kwired

Electron manager
I honestly don't see why an inductive load on a different circuit wouldn't possibly have the same effect on it - especially if on same "phase" conductor. The breaker panel is no different than a junction box with several branches of the same circuit leaving in different directions, it just happens to have a device that can open part of the circuit easily in each branch that leaves it.

steve_p

Talk to RAB

Give us a call:

Phone (888) RAB-1000
Phone (201) 784-8600
Fax (888) RAB-1232

As a side note, we will only supply and install RAB motion sensor lights, if the homeowner wants a cheap one, they can supply it, and we will install it. This way any return calls are billable.

Thanks

steve_p

I honestly don't see why an inductive load on a different circuit wouldn't possibly have the same effect on it - especially if on same "phase" conductor. The breaker panel is no different than a junction box with several branches of the same circuit leaving in different directions, it just happens to have a device that can open part of the circuit easily in each branch that leaves it.

I clipped that from their site. I also looked at Home Depot, the reviews on the product are soo bad. Many with the lights staying on all night.

LEO2854

Esteemed Member

Talk to RAB

Give us a call:

Phone (888) RAB-1000
Phone (201) 784-8600
Fax (888) RAB-1232

Those are the best ones going..:thumbsup:

WIMaster

Talk to RAB

Give us a call:

Phone (888) RAB-1000
Phone (201) 784-8600
Fax (888) RAB-1232

BIG + 1
I will not install the HZs unless the customer supplies them and insists that I use them.
Then they can PAY me to put up a good light later.

Status
Not open for further replies.