Heating PVC Conduit

Status
Not open for further replies.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I agreed with you up until you said propane torch. Unless you show me a UL propane torch or propane torch attachment, I would argue that a propane torch (although effective) is not considered a piece of "identified bending equipment."

Now... with that being said... I knew a guy who took a propane grill and reworked the guts a little to make a very cheap, and effective PVC pipe forming machine. ;);)😂
UL does not identify products. They list them.

There is no need to identify a propane torch as a means of heating something because the manufacturer has already done so.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
According to the manufacturer, the max heat that pvc conduit can be exposed to is 120 F. That being the case, you are not allowed to heat the pipe in order to make bends. Is that correct? I can understand the limitation as it relates to a wiring system, but not to the installation.
I believe that's the in-use limitation, meaning heat from conductors and./or environment.

I imagine the factory uses head to make elbows, fittings, and bell-ends.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
We use the Greenlee heat blanket...This is from there site

• Easy to use wrap blanket around PVC, secure with hook and loop strap
  • Built-in stiffeners help keep the blanket tight to the PVC surface
  • Controlled, even heating for uniform bending
  • Heavy-duty cord and thermostat for long life
  • Temperature over 300 degree's Fahrenheit

jon176

Occupation
IBEW journeyman wireman
Thanks for all the input. Over the past almost 40 years I have been an electrician, I have used every one of the methods mentioned, except for the one where you pour glue on it and set it ablaze! I have to draw the line somewhere. I know what is practical, but in some cases have to provide documentation, and that is where I am running into trouble.
That is the torch I mentioned. The worst I ever used was a tank of anti freeze heated with propane. But it heats the pipe from the end, so if you heat the bell end it collapses. You can not only heat the middle of the pipe. And it is a slimy mess to work with.

kwired

Electron manager
That is the torch I mentioned. The worst I ever used was a tank of anti freeze heated with propane. But it heats the pipe from the end, so if you heat the bell end it collapses. You can not only heat the middle of the pipe. And it is a slimy mess to work with.
Any time you heat at/near bell end for any reason you need at least a scrap piece inserted into it to keep it from collapsing

jon176

Occupation
IBEW journeyman wireman
Any time you heat at/near bell end for any reason you need at least a scrap piece inserted into it to keep it from collapsing
We did that. But the glycol heats everything submerged in it, and the scrap piece also collapses. That bender was a nice idea that does not work. We could have possibly used a scrap of r8gid conduit, but had none on the job at that time. Also, the bell end is stretched during manufacture, and when heated wants to return to normal state. So a piece of rigid may not have been easily removed.

Status
Not open for further replies.