Heating system

Status
Not open for further replies.

dwellselectric

Inactive, Email Never Verified
This might be a stupid question but does anyone know of a site that I can look at wiring diagrams for heating systems? My boss and I have not wired a heating system in awhile for what reason I dont know. But at anyrate I really would like to understand them more :-?

mdshunk

Heating systems are all about controls. Much of what you need to know is on the manufacturer's instruction sheets for the various controls. Honeywell, Mcdonnell-IIT, etc. Power comes from the transformer, through various and sundry controls, then to the ignition module for whatever the fuel type is. Not so hard, really, when you break it down like that. You can have other accessories like water fillers and zone valves, too. I'm not aware of a book on heating systems particularly, but there's lots of good information in the "Modern Air Conditioning and Refrigeration" book by Althouse, Turnquest, and Brachiano.

THere's not much to the line voltage portion. Basicly just landing power someplace. Sometimes you need to get 120 volt power to certain accessories, like power venters and such.

Last edited:

stickboy1375

What type of heating systems are you wanting to learn? In the Northeast I've basically been wiring either Hydro-Air, Hydronic Baseboard, or In-Floor radiant each supplied by a boiler, and a few Furnaces... Each has there own setup but are very similar to each other...

A lot of HVAC guys around here do not like the Electrician making up the low voltage connections due to the fact that there are too many wire pullers and not enough guys that actually understand how these systems work...

LawnGuyLandSparky

mdshunk said:
THere's not much to the line voltage portion. Basicly just landing power someplace. Sometimes you need to get 120 volt power to certain accessories, like power venters and such.

Really depends on where you are, and what type of heating system. If it's a typical 1 or 2-zone oil burner, likely there are no low-voltage controls.

mdshunk

LawnGuyLandSparky said:
Really depends on where you are, and what type of heating system. If it's a typical 1 or 2-zone oil burner, likely there are no low-voltage controls.
Guess you don't use thermostats? :smile:

LawnGuyLandSparky

stickboy1375 said:
I was wondering what was controlling them myself... I've never wired a two zone system without some kind of low voltage control wiring...

Single pole line-voltage thermostats. Wired in series with a small fractional hp circulator controls the zone. 2 or 3 zones are powered by the low limit switch on the oil burner, which cuts them off if the boiler temp is too low (generally when the domestic hot water is being used.)

Status
Not open for further replies.