HEEHRA anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaxelectric5

New User
Occupation
Electrical contractor
Hey everyone, not sure who knows what about the new HEERA stuff with electrical upgrades starting to be rebated in States, but I'd imagine we should be discussing it here....some of them start in '23. I am trying to read up now, from what I can tell if they have 60A panels they can get up to $4k rebate (if their income fits)
Anyone have any other info to share?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I bet the acronymn is HEEHRA

High-Efficiency Electric Home Rebate Act (HEEHRA)​

Formerly known as the Zero-Emission Homes Act (ZEHA)

The High-Efficiency Electric Home Rebate Act (HEEHRA) provides point-of-sale consumer rebates to enable low- and moderate-income households across America to electrify their homes. HEEHRA will help American families save money on their monthly energy bills, create healthier indoor air environments, and reduce their carbon emissions.
HEEHRA is a voluntary program that covers 100 percent of electrification project costs (up to $14,000) for low-income households and 50 percent of costs (up to $14,000) for moderate-income households. Qualified electrification projects include heat pump HVAC systems, heat pump water heaters, electric stoves and cooktops, heat pump clothes dryers, and enabling measures such as upgrading circuit panels, insulation, air sealing, ventilation, and wiring. Project costs will cover both purchase and installation costs. And, notably, these point-of-sale rebates will act as off-the-top discounts when a household makes the purchase.
This historic legislation was included in the Inflation Reduction Act (IRA) of 2022. The original Senate bill — the Zero-Emission Homes Act (ZEHA) of 2021 — was introduced by Senator Heinrich (D-NM), and its House companion was introduced by Representatives Tonko (D-NY) and Castor (D-FL).
For more information, see our overview of the IRA’s climate provisions, our breakdown of the IRA’s investments in disadvantaged communities, and our report on the benefits of electrification.

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
More accurately, a subsidy program for non-polluting technologies in lieu of taxing the polluting technologies. Two different approaches to addressing the market failure.

Cheers, Wayne
Lets say less-polluting.
Though on this one I agree. It will help some low income individuals upgrade items they can't afford.

Its not a market failure. If the government kept there big nose out of things the market would run fine. We the consumers dictate the market. They are just suppose to monitor it to make sure nothing shady is going on, not get into pushing one thing or another, Applies on both sides.

On another not..

Is there a good site to look at all these tax credits that are current, and the ones that are comming.
I just found out I can get a new fireplace with up to 23% tax credit but it ends at the end of 2022, :mad:.
The solar tax credits are good not good for my area since we have the cheapest rates.
Looking for any rebates on Backup generator/battery.
Hell ill install anything they want me to for the right tax credit.....

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
Lets say less-polluting.
OK, sure.

Its not a market failure.
Absolutely it's a market failure. Markets are a way of allocating resources, a very good one. The resulting allocation can be judged by whatever criterion you/society want to judge it by. I'm saying that the resulting pollution is a criterion we should use. A different set of technologies or solutions could result in less pollution without more or much more effort. So to the extent that isn't happening, the market is failing to optimize allocation for the criteria we care about.

The reason this is happening is fairly clear--pollution is not (fully) priced into the market. When you can sell a product without (much) regard to the resulting pollution, the invisible hand of the free market isn't going to notice the pollution, so of course the resulting allocation isn't going to optimize for pollution. You can address the market failure by introducing a price differential between more polluting and less polluting products.

And obviously you can introduce a price differential either by taxing the more polluting, or subsidizing the less polluting. There's a strong anti-tax ethos in the US, so subsidizing the less polluting is often more palatable than taxing the more polluting. That's fine, either solution can get the job done.

Cheers, Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.