Help 2flr box covering ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twoskinsoneman

Occupation
Facility Senior Electrician
Ive never used them. Id like to hear what inspectors on the forum think of that use cause that would be great.

I imagine that you are going to be hard pressed to find an inspector to admit they would fail an inspection because of a UL approved product specifically allowed for in the code.....specially considering the ridicule he'll take from all the electricians on the forum :D

woodduder

Back around 1986 when I started in the trade, we used them to join the sections of modular homes together. Also it was inevitable that at some point of the home assembley someone would shoot a nail in a cable and we would cut open the wall and fix it with these. I don't ever recall having any trouble with them.

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
Buddabing thanks for the case suggestions that may work. Woodduder have you ever had something inspected with those connectors the company claims you can do that citing

334.40 Boxes and Fittings
(B) Devices of Insulating Material. Switch, outlet, and tap devices
of insulating material shall be permitted to be used without boxes in
exposed cable wiring and for rewiring in existing buildings where the
cable is concealed and fished. Openings in such devices shall form a
close fit around the outer covering of the cable and the device shall
fully enclose the part of the cable from which any part of the coverings
has been removed. Where connections to conductors are by binding
screw terminals, there shall be available as many terminals as conductors

This companies literature is very interesting has anyone else used these.
http://www.ampnetconnect.com/suppor....asp?DTP_ID=526&grp=2307&so=21&view=printable

Fished is the key word in this, if it can,t be fished back out to repair it I think you are hard pressed to call it "acceptable" There are many reports of these things failing. If they are overloaded to many times or just have a bad connection to begin with they are going to fail, a good old wire nut installed correctly is a thousand times better connection and you can't bury those in the wall either.

Last edited:

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I have used the 3-wire tap a couple of times, for supplying a new receptacle behind a wall-mounted TV, where the load is known and relatively small.

Fished is the key word in this, if it can,t be fished back out to repair it I think you are hard pressed to call it "acceptable" There are many reports of these things failing.
Sorry, but I can't agree with that. I have done plenty of cable fishing where the cable ended up inaccessible, and it still qualifies as "fished." If it had to be retrievable, the NEC would say so.

If they are overloaded to many times or just have a bad connection to begin with they are going to fail, a good old wire nut installed correctly is a thousand times better connection and you can't bury those in the wall either.
The same is true with most electrical devices and equipment. Proper and careful installation are always important, as is use within the ratings. The rules for wirenuts are different.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Just trying to get inside the head of an inspector... What would cause you to say probably? What are your reservations?

That's a fair question. With anything "new" I like to err on the side of safety. If the paper work said that they could be used for in the wall splices, then that's that, but if it is kind of obscure, maybe it says something like "in manufactured homes", then we are going to do more research. I'm "probably" not going to take your word on it.

I had a guy doing a medical office the other day and he didn't use the green cable in the patient care areas, but he told me that the jacket of what he used was approved for grounding and I said show me. Two days later he was changing it out. If he could have shown me something I would have signed it off. In this case I was pretty sure that he wouldn't come up with anything, but you never know.:smile:

Like I said and trying to be honest, I have never seen the product so I really can't commit one way or the other.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Status
Not open for further replies.