Help: 517.30(C)(1) -- NEC 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavJ09

Silly question but I'm lost.

Article 517.30(C)(1) states that emergency system "shall be kept entirely independent of all other wiring and equipment and shall not enter the same raceways, boxes, or cabinets with each other or other wiring."

Does separation of emergency systems mean generators or separate conductors not of generators; it states in this article "s in transfer equipment enclosures," does this mean generator or another conduit box?

-- J. Davis (tapatalk!)

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
Silly question but I'm lost.

Article 517.30(C)(1) states that emergency system "shall be kept entirely independent of all other wiring and equipment and shall not enter the same raceways, boxes, or cabinets with each other or other wiring."

Does separation of emergency systems mean generators or separate conductors not of generators; it states in this article "s in transfer equipment enclosures," does this mean generator or another conduit box?

-- J. Davis (tapatalk!)
Lets read the whole article.:)

Article 517.30(C)(1)

(C) Wiring Requirements.
(1) Separation from Other Circuits. The life safety branch and critical branch of the emergency system shall be kept entirely independent of all other wiring and equipment and shall not enter the same raceways, boxes, or cabinets with each other or other wiring.
Where general care locations are served from two separate transfer switches on the emergency system in accordance with 517.18(A), Exception No. 3, the general care circuits from the two separate systems shall be kept independent of each other.
Where critical care locations are served from two separate transfer switches on the emergency system in accordance with 517.19(A), Exception No. 2, the critical care circuits from the two separate systems shall be kept independent of each other.
Wiring of the life safety branch and the critical branch shall be permitted to occupy the same raceways, boxes, or cabinets of other circuits not part of the branch where such wiring complies with one of the following:
(1)?
Is in transfer equipment enclosures
(2)?
Is in exit or emergency luminaires supplied from two sources
(3)?
Is in a common junction box attached to exit or emergency luminaires supplied from two sources
(4)?
Is for two or more emergency circuits supplied from the same branch and same transfer switch
The wiring of the equipment system shall be permitted to occupy the same raceways, boxes, or cabinets of other circuits that are not part of the emergency system.

Last edited:

DavJ09

Thank you! I wasn't sure about it even after reading the whole article. I've been taught that, if you're not 100% sure on something, then ask and figure it out so that you are. =D

-- J. Davis (tapatalk!)

DavJ09

Oh, and I also flipped back to 517.18 - .19 and that helped too but, again, I wanted to make sure I understood fully.

P.S. I love this forum!!!

-- J. Davis (tapatalk!)

Status
Not open for further replies.