Help, failed inspection, lost. multi utility ground bar on service change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

hunterhare

Hey guys I did an old house and passed the house but the service outside I failed. It is an overhead service. The only thing I can think is that I didn't ground the 2inch rigid that goes up. I've only done a handful of overheads and I vaguely remember the process.
Do I just run a #6 THHN green from the bottom of the 2 inch rigid (just above where it screws into my panel. Then run the ground around and into a romex connector on the bottom and land it on my ground bar? I can't remember how I kept the wire clean running around the panel... If that's even the problem.

heres what the report says:

Inspection Report

Residential Electrical
332 - Change of Service
Correction Required

This meter base is approved where it sat except for the requirement of a multi utility
ground bar which has not been installed

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Did you install a intersystem bonding bridge {250.94}? That's what the description sounds like to me.

hunterhare

Did you install a intersystem bonding bridge {250.94}? That's what the description sounds like to me.

no i didn't, that's it!
I remember screwing them onto the outside of the bottom side corner on the service itself. It's been a few years (did some time). Is that still ok? can I just screw a
3 Terminal Ground Bar Kit from home depot.

on the side of the panel and pull a piece of ground wire into the panel and terminate each ends and be done or is there a better way?
thanks guys, a lot.

edit, maybe a 5 terminal ground bar, and use two spots to use self tappers onto the panel?
edit2, maybe be cheap and attach one on my ground rod, with one of those Bridgeport Fittings?

Last edited:

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
no i didn't, that's it!
I remember screwing them onto the outside of the bottom side corner on the service itself. It's been a few years (did some time). Is that still ok? can I just screw a

on the side of the panel and pull a piece of ground wire into the panel and terminate each ends and be done or is there a better way?
thanks guys, a lot.

edit, maybe a 5 terminal ground bar, and use two spots to use self tappers onto the panel?
edit2, maybe be cheap and attach one on my ground rod, with one of those Bridgeport Fittings?
I'm partial to mounting mine out by the meter socket bolted to the can, or on the grounding electrode conductor that is heading to the ground rod. The communications utilities mount their lightning arresters on the outside and many times they are close by.

kwired

Electron manager
no i didn't, that's it!

thanks guys, a lot.

Standard ground bars designed for inside loadcenters may not be suitable for use at outdoor locations, may need something that is corrosion resistant.

norcal

The steel screws in a aluminum ground bar kit will rust when exposed to the weather, best to use the product designed for the purpose.

kwired

Electron manager
The steel screws in a aluminum ground bar kit will rust when exposed to the weather, best to use the product designed for the purpose.

Product designed for the purpose is often bronze with either bronze or stainless screws for both mounting as well as set screws for each conductor port.

kwired

Electron manager
We are getting ready to provide power for a tower used by our County Sheriffs Dept. The building they purchased has more bonding/grounding plates and cable then can be imagined. That little bar I am required to provide will look pretty silly in comparison.
One rule to fit all doesn't always fit all very well.

Have you ever seen a need to bond other systems to the electrical system on irrigation applications or typical on the farm grain storage sites? I haven't. I have never seen an intersystem bonding device installed at one of these sites nor have I installed one myself - but NEC wording suggests there should be one there.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Does anyone dislike this requirement? I've seen installers not even use them and go directly to the GEC. :roll:

kwired

Electron manager
Does anyone dislike this requirement? I've seen installers not even use them and go directly to the GEC. :roll:
About the only other systems I have ever seen landed in them is if I landed it myself, or occasionally if I told the other installer it was put there for their use.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician

It takes about 3 minutes (unless you lose the cover screw in the dirt) to put one in so I don't really care. They actually make sense and don't look bad, either. I think a strap around our metal conduit with a wire on it looks like crap. Now, if we can just make the Chapter 8 folks actually use them.....

Status
Not open for further replies.