Help! I need to sketch out what the equipment for a 600A service with a 400A ATS is going to look like against the house.

rnew

Occupation
Electrical Project Manager
What's the setup look like when you have a 600amp service with a 400amp ATS for a generator and where does the disconnect sit in that set up?

I've mostly worked in standard older homes with 100-200amp services- very straightforward, no CT cabinet needed, never had to deal with a generator or an ATS. Now I work on multi-million dollar homes with much larger services. This one happens to be a 600 amp service and the homeowner wants to go with a 60kw generator and a 400 amp transfer switch to cover 2 of 3 200amp panels.

I need to mock up a sketch of how this equipment is all going to lay out on the side of the house so we can figure out where to core drill for our conduit. And I have no idea where to start.

Any help would be immensely appreciated.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
The configuration may vary depending on the applicable Code cycle .
IMO, I would picture a meter or CT cabinet (dependent on POCO requirement) feeding a 400 amp disconenct > ATS > (2) 200 amp panels (tap rules applied) and a 200 amp disconnect fed from the CT (not from the ATS) with the 400 amp and 200 amp disconnects grouped.
I'm sure there are other configurations,.