Help ! LV installation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

e57

hbiss said:
Sorry, I don't mean to be a **** but I call it as I see it. He really needs to at least take some courses on this before he attemps to do any of this work. His biggest mistake is thinking it's easy.

-Hal

Hal - I agree with you - it's not "easy" - But for what he's doing it's not "Rocket Science" either.... :wink:

Try my 102 page [FONT=Arial,Bold]
[/FONT] :grin:

PMcCarty

I though we were suppose to be professional and respectful to others. I was disappointed to see the sarcasm in some of these replies. I hope I am not treated this way when I need help. It would make a person not want to ask again with these kinds of friends.

Phil

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Telecom and data work is easier than electrical work, in a way. But it still requires good workmanship. The racket is customers pay the big bucks for a simple telecom outlet, that wired with Cat 5e is obsolete in a few years.
The receptacle is good for 30-40 years

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Mark, very nice. That should be required reading for everybody here attempting voice and data work. Let them read it first then come back and ask questions.

-Hal

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
LV grider said:
The twist rates are different per pair within the cable. The blue pair twist rate is different than the green pair twist rate and it is that way for a reason.
Correctamundo. It reduces what's known as cross-talk.

e57

hbiss said:
Mark, very nice. That should be required reading for everybody here attempting voice and data work. Let them read it first then come back and ask questions.

-Hal

Why thank you Hal - coming from you that means a lot. REALLY!!!!

Truthfully, I did that because I was sick and tired of having to go correct other guys mis-informed and poorly thought out work after the fact....

I showed up at one job where some guys had been told they were putting in a "Pansonic Phone System" on a commercial job - for some reason they took this to mean it was going to be 'wireless' - and that is exactly what it ended up being.... :mad: At quite a cost to the company I was working for at the time. To boot - all of the "Data" was daisy-chained.... I spent 8 hours giving that class - and the next few months explaining it all to 15 guys as they rotated under me. Some eventually got it....

e57

PMcCarty said:
I though we were suppose to be professional and respectful to others. I was disappointed to see the sarcasm in some of these replies. I hope I am not treated this way when I need help. It would make a person not want to ask again with these kinds of friends.

Phil

Well not sure what to say about that - but I will say that LV (Phone and Data) is one of the very weak points of many of the forums like this one. Even though most here could go on and on and very acuaratley about a wide range of electrical topics - this is one where there a lot of guys who think they know - but have been mis-informed. It does get some hot under the collar through the frustration and banter - but think that is more to do with several years of muscle flexing on the subject. :grin:

Hal - as much as he can be a hot head about it - is probably the most educated on this specialized topic on this and a few other forums. And much in the way that us "Electricians" hate the way some of our trade is being bastardized by handymen and HO's - he has stuck it out as an LV contractor to educate the "Electricians" trying to monkey around in his art. Much in the way if one of us drops into a "Handyman Forum" and fielded "Electrical Questions" - I have, and it can be frustrating.....

iwire

Staff member
PMcCarty said:

Phil

Phil as a Moderator here I agree with you 100%.

e57 said:
Hal - as much as he can be a hot head about it - is probably the most educated on this specialized topic on this and a few other forums.

That may well be true, that still does not excuse being rude.

With that knowledge he could help, not criticize.

To the regulars here, either answer helpfully or don't answer at all.

Last edited:

e57

iwire said:
That may well be true, that still does not excuse being rude.

To the regulars here, either answer helpfully or don't answer at all.

(I) Didn't see anything particularly "rude" in this thread... :-? Others may differ?

Since most of the guys responding to this particular thread are regulars - some have the bane of familiarity to the point of fault IMO. The fact most of us know eachother on a first name basis past the annominity of or user names - testifies to the fact we remember prior interaction - some of which may or may not have been good..... :rolleyes:

iwire

Staff member
e57 said:
(I) Didn't see anything particularly "rude" in this thread... :-? Others may differ?

Rude may not be the correct term, call it 'unhelpful', call it posting only to incite reaction.

The fact is posting on what is basically an ECs site that ECs should not do LV work is a waste of time and only going to provoke angry responses.

It also does not help the OP who is asking questions so that perhaps he can do a better job.

Now on the other hand you (e57) did try to help and for that I am thankful. :)

LV grider

I have a question. Before I ask the question I must proclaim that that words on screen can be interpreted falsely depending upon the readers frame of mind. Please interpret my question as a simple question, not as an insult to anyone.

Question: Doesn't one need to know something about the subject matter being discussed before they differentiate between rude and non-helpful?

iwire

Staff member
LV grider said:
Question: Doesn't one need to know something about the subject matter being discussed before they differentiate between rude and non-helpful?

Oh yeah, this is the customer that is going to get the job done right.

Where is that thread that I started awhile back about how ECs shouldn't be doing this kind of work? I rest my case.

Feel free to explain how this type of response is helpful to anyone regardless of their knowledge of the subject.

My opinion is, it is not helpful and beyond that it may well chase away a person that knows they need help and went asking for it, only to be publicly chastised for it.

Last edited:

LV grider

First of all I believe that my definition of rude is considerably different than yours but that is not a point of contention.

From what I read in this thread and in the referred to thread from several months ago is the poster that is being told to knock it off has a considerable amount of knowledge on this subject matter and is willing to share it to those that will listen.

Since the original poster of this thread is a bit green shall we say to LV wiring you must assume that all information he absorbs here will be considered the gospel truth.

I would think that a moderators responsibility to this forum would be to encourage postings by those that actually understand LV wiring and focus their cool down warnings on those that obviously don't.

I may be wrong but I interpret the hand slaps as something personal on one individual member as opposed to professional moderating.

In closing I must state that I am only answering the question asked of me and not attempting to reactivate the old "Why EC's should not do Voice/Data" thread.

iwire

Staff member
You are certainly entitled to that view but don't see it that way at all.

I would be very happy to have Hal share his knowledge with all the members here, instead he went another direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.