Help! Need LED Puck/Cabinet lighting options

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'm in a bit of a pickle on this kitchen job. Its a pretty standard kitchen and I wired the LED under cabinet lights to the LED puck light in the glass door cabinet so they come on with the same LED dimmer. I had trouble finding a puck light that would work so I went with this... (http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/221676278215?ul_noapp=true&chn=ps&lpid=82)

Mind you it looks great in the cabinet, the customer is saying the light is too bright and when its dimmed its still a lot brighter than the under cabinet lights.

Now that I have successfully screwed myself because the existing light fits in a 3 5/8" round old work box what other options are out there that would look good in this situation?

Thanks in advance!

(Tilt your head to the left, don't know why they are sideways)

IMG_1913.jpg
IMG_1914.jpg

Last edited:

JFletcher

If you have at least a 3 gang box, you can put 2 other switch functions on an over/under switch and run 2 separate LED dimmers, one for the UC lighting and one for the cabinet light. You could also check to see if there are other diffusers for the cabinet light.

I've seen much smaller/lower lumen cabinet lights, but I'm drawing a blank at the moment. Member James L has a lot of eperience with these; maybe send him a PM.

Welcome to the forum.

Thanks! I've got a 3 gang box with a counter outlet, dimmer for island pendant lights, and dimmer for the undercab/cabinet lights. The only way to solve the problem would be at the light I believe.

JFletcher

Yeah, short of tearing it all out and having a 4-gang box there.

I did some Google searching; this isnt what we use, but it is half the lumens of your cabinet light:

http://www.affordablequalitylightin...t-aquccpk10/?gclid=CPfhvdidy8kCFYlBfgodILICiw

this is of interest:

"325 Lumen (65% brighter than most competing puck lights)"

so you can go much less bright.

In the future, it's best imho to be able to control and switch UC and cab lighting independently. The UC lighting almost never requires a dimmer, and neither should the cab lights really. The problem you may have is the big gaping hole in the top of the cabinets.

kwired

Electron manager
Find a way to "mask off" half of the surface of the light and you'll cut the lumens in half. Those surface LEDS don't get very hot, try some duct tape... Lol.
But they do have a design operating temp and by "insulating" them you risk raising that temp potentially taking away some of it's useful life.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Change the UC lights to more closely match the dimming of the puck.
Looks like trial and error.

Status
Not open for further replies.