Help needed interpreting logged data

Status
Not open for further replies.

PetrosA

I had a call today to check a 20A dedicated line to a large copier/printer in an office building. Someone from Toshiba service left a report from their data logger with the office manager. These are scans of two of the pages (the others are pie charts and bar graphs) but I'm not sure what to look for. I see that they recorded impulses of 180V and 372V. The unit is protected by their surge protector, but evidently something is causing the unit to go into a service mode that requires a tech come and reset or replace something in the unit. Any help would be really appreciated!

Thanks

e57

I'd say the sags are all motor starts - not sure I would trust the peak info as it could be a capicitor - or anomoly. Noise is subjective...

But what it does say is there is a weak connection somewhere between it, and the transformer feeding it. Assuming this is a dedicated circuit without machine shop and radar facility in the building. ;) JMSO

bob

You can record those kind of spikes any time a motor or any inductive loads turns off. I had a problem with monitors being damaged. Right next to the monitor was a small electrical adding machine. Every time the user hit the add key, it generated a 200 volts spike. After some time the spike damaged the printed ckt board in the monitor.

wireguru

ive had experience with toshiba and their factory service in the past. Its always the power and/or network...and NEVER their machine (which is what it always ends up being)

PetrosA

Thanks for the help. I'd like to learn more about this kind of analysis, but it will have to wait till I can afford a data logger. In the meantime, are there any good resources available?

What we found was a dedicated circuit that was run to the farthest panel in the building - approx. 130'-150' away in a 12 circuit sub panel. We ran a new one to the nearest panel about 80' away which is also the closest to the mains and transformer and I connected it to the least loaded phase.

I definitely enjoy the challenge of a call like this but it made me realize my shortcomings. I need some better equipment for sure, like a really dependable circuit tracer. Not one of the breakers in the whole building was labeled (2- 20 cir. FPE, 1-30 cir. CH, 1-12 cir. Siemens and a 40 cir. Siemens with at least 20 no-code twins and quads). Mine was going off in different panels around the place but we couldn't risk just shutting breakers off. Also have to save my pennies for a data logger and learn how to read it - but first... a truck :)

Status
Not open for further replies.