Help on a job

Status
Not open for further replies.

master

Had a question about a potential problem I'm having with the utility contractor.. About a month ago, I was asked to bid on a project in a 3000 sqft commercial building which housed (2) thats two, 225 amp 3 phase 208Y load centers.

What the property owner wanted me to do was to simply move one of the load centers into the other space and to seperate the branch circuits to that load center for that space... The existing panels contained heating loads and the other had branch circuits... I moved the panel that had the heating loads in it they were abandoned years ago, and both spaces now have HP's and furnaces (1) 5 ton and (1) 2/1/2 ton I forget the KW on the heating

Now what the property owner was trying to accomplish in all this was to have two seperate electric bills, one for each meter for each space. Currently, there's only one tenent in the building who's paying for the electricity for both panels...

Sounds frustrating huh!? I spoke with a represenative from the utility and he told me that they would have to do a site survey and that possibly, I would need another service???

So to sum up. There's currently one 3 phase 120/208 volt Y service feeding (2) meters and from those meters to the individual panels... The utility said that one of those panels was just for the heat in the building that was abandoned years ago.. That's the panel I moved...

Would I need to pull a permit like the utility said for another service to feed the panel I moved? Or should I simply wait to see what the site survey engineer says!? Could someone out there enlighten me on this!

Chris M

Last edited by a moderator:

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
----------------------

the only thing you can do is what the poco wants, and it will most likely involve a permit. And since I don't know of any poco's that allow two meters feeding one occupancy, you'll most likely also have to go to the fire marshall's office and get a new address request for the new occupancy that you're adding the meter to. you'll need this for the permit (at least in my experience).

edit>>> george, you could've at least deleted the first line in my reply when you moved this as it was only relevant to the thread this used to be in! :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.