Help on AC Dissconnect

Status
Not open for further replies.

MjMeuse

OK I a m still an apprentice so bear with me. :confused: I Have a question. I am wiring up a hot top and I am using 6-3 for the feed. My question is how do you wire up the disconnect if you are using 6-3? I bought a 60 amp non-fusible 3 wire disconnect. It has 4 lugs 2 os which are marked line. and of course the ground lugs. So I am going to have a total of 8 conductors in the disconnect, but I know where the grounds go. So I have 4 Hots and 2 Neuterals. Any help would be appreciated.

southernboys

Re: Help on AC Dissconnect

a ac unit in res work does not require neutrals therefore we pull 6-2 to the unit and retag the ungrounded wire with red phasing tape

jimwalker

He said hot tub (actually hot top ,love to wire one of them ).Think what he wants to know is how to handle the neutral that has no lugs.I would just use a blue wire nut .Intesting thow is my helper seen an air handler disc that had red phase tape on white wire on line side and blue on load side.His comment was that someone screwed it up.I pointed out that i did it and its legal.Reason was that code requires us to reidentify the white and i only had blue in my pocket so used it to fix the one that was not remarked on load side.

jimwalker

"I a m still an apprentice"
Welcome to our forum.I do see one thing i must question,if your an apprentice why are you working alone ?

davedottcom

The post's subject says AC but the post says Hot Top! :confused:

MjMeuse, welcome to the forum, I'm just messin with ya, but you're gonna have to clarify what exactly you're hooking up here!

Dave

BruceH

Why a three wire disconnect? Are you using a 3 pole disconnect for a residential hot tub?

MjMeuse

So if I am understanding you correctly. You are suggesting that inside the Disconnect I Wire nut the Neutrals together and hook up the hots under the lugs?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

So does this hot tub require a 120/240 volt, 3 wire connection? If so, then you should use a disconnect with a neutral kit. Many disconnects require the neutral kits to be ordered separately. Their respective part number should be listed within the disconnect enclosure.

southernboys

what is it that youre hooking up and yesw if its an ac unit since you dont need em next time just pull 6-2

MjMeuse

I am wiring up my hot tub, It's a 4 wire hook up, but I was not sure what to do with the neutrals inside the disconnect.

MjMeuse

Well I have only been in the field for about a year, but I went to school for it and all I learned was Theory (which I do love) but they did not realy teach us anything else

MjMeuse

Well it is protected at the tub, but I also went ahead and put a 2 pole GFI in the pannel also. Just to be safe

MjMeuse

I have a white pigtail coming out of it that is tied to the neutral buss in my main box. And neutral to the spa ties into the breaker also.

Status
Not open for further replies.