help on grouping disconnects

Status
Not open for further replies.

benaround

Re: help on grouping disconnects

In that exception that Volt101 pointed out it did say one set to each building.

rickl, you are planning two sets to the house ?

These guys should know if two sets are ok or not

frank

hurk27

By Frank: In that exception that Volt101 pointed out it did say one set to each building.
Frank you got me there as I fell into my own trap. :eek:
The problem is some can't see that little two letter word and think every place there is a meter there should be a disconnect.
What I can't see is that it's ok to do this very samething if the 320 meter is mounted on the house, but if it is mounted remote it's not? :confused:

But then again where is there a definition of what a "set" of entrance conductors are? Are they still the same entrance conductors but now take two paths or are they now two seperate sets of entrance conductors?
Before you try to answer it, think about this:
A branch circuit can take many paths to the loads and can even split up into two paths like a "Y" but it is still the same branch circuit isn't it?

[ July 13, 2005, 12:21 AM: Message edited by: hurk27 ]

rickl

thanks for all the help. i'm going to stick with my plan, hopefully i get the right ahj if not i'll challenge him on the code articles you guys mentioned.

hurk27

By George: If they never enter a building, there are no service entrance conductors.
Now George quit hanging around with BIL and go back and look at 230.1 Figure 230.1 and tell me where it says that service entrance conductors have to enter the building?

They are just the conductors that run between the drop/latterals to the service disconnect. weather it is inside or out. :D

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

Originally posted by hurk27:
Now George quit hanging around with BIL and go back and look at 230.1 Figure 230.1 and tell me where it says that service entrance conductors have to enter the building?
What does that picture have to do with anything?

Does that picture mean that a service has to supply branch circuits, just because they're mentioned? :)

Article 100 (2002) Service-Entrance Conductors, Underground System. The service conductors between the terminals of the service equipment and the point of connection to the service lateral.
FPN: Where service equipment is located outside the building walls, there may be no service-entrance conductors, or they may be entirely outside the building.

hurk27

Ok George you got me with that FPN but it's not enforceable :D

FPN: Where service equipment is located outside the building walls, there may be no service-entrance conductors, or they may be entirely outside the building.
there may be no service-entrance conductors,
I would suspect that this would be a case where the meter is at the road and the service laterals land in the service disconnect at the house thus no SEC's.

But:
or they may be entirely outside the building.
As this Say's they can be entirely outside as where the laterals/drop lands at another building then land in a disconnect on the outside of the house the house.
So we can have it both ways?

Status
Not open for further replies.