help pulling wire

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
Is it legal for someone without a license or apprentice card to assist in wire pulling? Pretty much just feeding wire into a non-live enclosure.
I have people do this quite often, but never with the inspector around.
This is absolutely 100% a question about state law, and the answer will vary state by state or perhaps even in some places by city. As will patterns of enforcement.

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
I was installing some security equipment in a machine room at an AT&T facility 50 or so years ago. I was allowed to plug in phone wiring to my equipment when there were connectors on the end, but to fasten two wires to a screw terminal strip I had to wait 3 hours for the staff union electrician to come do the job.
And let's not get started on convention halls. :)
I work with model train layouts. At one convention hall, we were allowed to assemble our layouts (bolts and thumbscrews; everything pre-drilled), but couldn't use a hammer. I was curious-- could we have used a large wrench to encourage things into place? It wouldn't have been a hammer...

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
I work with model train layouts. At one convention hall, we were allowed to assemble our layouts (bolts and thumbscrews; everything pre-drilled), but couldn't use a hammer. I was curious-- could we have used a large wrench to encourage things into place? It wouldn't have been a hammer...
That's ridiculous. No one but owners and fellow modelers should handle model train layouts. That'd be a deal breaker for me if someone had an issue with that.

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
That's ridiculous. No one but owners and fellow modelers should handle model train layouts. That'd be a deal breaker for me if someone had an issue with that.
Union shop.
Setup was on Thursday; normal crew of union guys-- if your display was greater than X square feet, you needed union assistance. Tear down was Sunday. You should have seen the wave of old, grey union guys who arrived-- Sunday was at least time-and-a-half, if not double-time pay.