help pulling wire

JoeNorm

Is it legal for someone without a license or apprentice card to assist in wire pulling? Pretty much just feeding wire into a non-live enclosure.
I have people do this quite often, but never with the inspector around.

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
Isn't that pretty much a "Hey, you! Can you give us a hand?" kind of task?
Only limitation I can think of is some sort of cross-trade nonsense...

James L

Occupation
Electrician
I once had a service to pull, 3ph with 500s 125ft
I showed up by myself 😅 I don't know why

After about 10 minutes of kicking rocks I asked the drywall crew if they might be able to help. They got all 9 guys involved and told me to step aside. I kid you not, it was pulled in 2 minutes

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
I once had a service to pull, 3ph with 500s 125ft
I showed up by myself 😅 I don't know why

After about 10 minutes of kicking rocks I asked the drywall crew if they might be able to help. They got all 9 guys involved and told me to step aside. I kid you not, it was pulled in 2 minutes
I had a couple easy pulls on a job last month, just 12's and 10's in a roomy 3/4 EMT

I had arranged for my wife to come by and feed when I got ready, but one of the sheetrockers started using my ladder, obviously not realizing it was mine (several ladders but mine was the only 12' in room)

So I walked over and politely said, "Use my ladder all you want! Since y'all gonna help me pull wire"

They did😉

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I had a couple easy pulls on a job last month, just 12's and 10's in a roomy 3/4 EMT

I had arranged for my wife to come by and feed when I got ready, but one of the sheetrockers started using my ladder, obviously not realizing it was mine (several ladders but mine was the only 12' in room)

So I walked over and politely said, "Use my ladder all you want! Since y'all gonna help me pull wire"

They did😉
I was driving a ground rod once and having a little trouble getting it started. I asked one of the workers there to just hold the rod while I got it started. This was before cordless drivers and I was using a fence post driver. The guy that I got to help asked what that was and I told him. He said wouldn't it be better to just use a sledge hammer alone. I asked him to try both and see which one he thought was better. So he proceeded to pound away, trying each way.

Pretty soon, his fellow workers came over and wanted to try. It was like a game to them to see who could drive it the furthest. I had to stop them or the rod would have been too low to get my GEC on!
I guess you could say I "Tom Sawyered" them!:cool:

mtnelect

HVAC & Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Contractor, C10 & C20 - Semi Retired
Make sure you take the other part of the ground rod away with you.
The ground rods I purchased always had markings on one end, make sure you have that end showing.

busman

Occupation
Master Electrician / Electrical Engineer
I was driving a ground rod once and having a little trouble getting it started. I asked one of the workers there to just hold the rod while I got it started. This was before cordless drivers and I was using a fence post driver. The guy that I got to help asked what that was and I told him. He said wouldn't it be better to just use a sledge hammer alone. I asked him to try both and see which one he thought was better. So he proceeded to pound away, trying each way.

Pretty soon, his fellow workers came over and wanted to try. It was like a game to them to see who could drive it the furthest. I had to stop them or the rod would have been too low to get my GEC on!
I guess you could say I "Tom Sawyered" them!:cool:
And drop the acorn over the rod before the pounding starts.

Mark

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
And drop the acorn over the rod before the pounding starts.

Mark
I used to do that, but found that buying a larger acorn I can still slip it over the rod, even with the end all smashed.
I've had to dig out a lot of acorns where they slid down into the dirt as the rod went in. You have to keep an eye on it and keep tightening the set screw. The larger acorn solved that.

marmathsen

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I used to do that, but found that buying a larger acorn I can still slip it over the rod, even with the end all smashed.
I've had to dig out a lot of acorns where they slid down into the dirt as the rod went in. You have to keep an eye on it and keep tightening the set screw. The larger acorn solved that.
I tighten and tape it onto the rod. Keeps it from sliding.

Rob G, Seattle

marmathsen

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Is it legal for someone without a license or apprentice card to assist in wire pulling? Pretty much just feeding wire into a non-live enclosure.
I have people do this quite often, but never with the inspector around.
Some non-electrician contractors I know have been scolded by inspectors for even touching the wiring even if they are simply pushing it aside so they can get past. Personally I think those inspectors are just being.... Donkey donuts

Rob G, Seattle

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
I think WA won't let you but getting a trainee card for your wife or friend shouldn't be difficult. Can't use them on a pull in commercial without them being a full on apprentice though. But plenty of residential situations that a helper would be nice. Other option is maybe get another one man band to work with you for the pulls on a commercial job and stack the pulls so you can hire them for a whole day.

busman

Occupation
Master Electrician / Electrical Engineer
i typically cut off the mushroomed in, it and the remaining 3’ and acorn goes on no problem 😉
Yes, inspectors around here want to see the "factory" end to make sure the whole rod is in the dirt. Kinda nuts, given that I could cut 5' off and pound the remaining 3' in, cut-end down.

Mark

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
Some non-electrician contractors I know have been scolded by inspectors for even touching the wiring even if they are simply pushing it aside so they can get past. Personally I think those inspectors are just being.... Donkey donuts

Rob G, Seattle
Are those inspectors union officials on the side?

Tulsa Electrician

Occupation
Electrician
Here in tulsa there was an job where the electricians were slow so the boss had them help the plumbers run racks for plumbing. CIB inspector showed up and ask to see the apprentice plumbing licenses. He ask what is that rack for plumbing or electrical. If for plumbing a license was required.
Crazy stuff however true. The only way this would happen is if some one called them and complained. I thought there time was better suited to major code infractions instead of hassling guys trying to make ends meet. They were all licensed electricians so it was not a revenue issue.

FYI, CIB= Construction Industry Board. There in charge of licensing etc for the state of Oklahoma.

If you don't pay your taxes in ok your license gets suspended and can be fined. They want there money no matter what. So we have a bunch of licensed/ revoked license electricians in Tulsa. Yep, there still working.

So really does it matter?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Isn't that pretty much a "Hey, you! Can you give us a hand?" kind of task?
Only limitation I can think of is some sort of cross-trade nonsense...
I was installing some security equipment in a machine room at an AT&T facility 50 or so years ago. I was allowed to plug in phone wiring to my equipment when there were connectors on the end, but to fasten two wires to a screw terminal strip I had to wait 3 hours for the staff union electrician to come do the job.
And let's not get started on convention halls. :)