Help with devices in 7/8 furing on cinderblock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roscoencarter

So a grocery store I'm working on has the outside walls in block with 7/8 studs and 5/8 gypsum, do I use a shallow box with a flat plaster ring and hope the sheet rock people cut it out tight? I'm or do I need the boxs In the block with proper plaster rings or w.e. Please help:D:D

kwired

Electron manager
So a grocery store I'm working on has the outside walls in block with 7/8 studs and 5/8 gypsum, do I use a shallow box with a flat plaster ring and hope the sheet rock people cut it out tight? I'm or do I need the boxs In the block with proper plaster rings or w.e. Please help:D:D
7/8 + 5/8 is only 1-1/4. Box volume has strong chance of being an issue - if you can even find much for 1-1/4 deep boxes.

nizak

Garvin makes an 1.25" deep handi box that's 9.5 cu/in.

Is it drop ceiling above where you could set a 1900 and drop down with either emt or mc cable?

kwired

Electron manager
Garvin makes an 1.25" deep handi box that's 9.5 cu/in.

Is it drop ceiling above where you could set a 1900 and drop down with either emt or mc cable?

Not even enough volume for three 12 AWG conductors and an outlet device, use raceway as EGC and don't pull a green and you have enough room for "dead end" receptacles. If you need a GFCI receptacle - it may fit, but will be somewhat of a challenge.

You could run those boxes flush and then add Wiremold extension boxes to gain some volume and still have something that doesn't look too bad.

kwired

Electron manager
Not going to work with kitchen applance receptacles
As in 30 or 50 amp receptacles?

Either break out block to get a deeper box in or add a surface extension box to the flush box.

If you need 3/4 inch raceway you are also screwed at getting that into the 7/8" furred out space, and you will never find a flush box with enough volume for what you pull into it anyway.

kwired

Electron manager
Since it's cinderblock, I'd probably just break the block out to sink a deeper box into it.

Unless there is very few boxes to set there, I'd be telling them they need to fur it out further or we surface mount the wiring. 2x2 furring strips are not that expensive compared (to what) electrician labor (is supposed to be).

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~

1 5/8" hatrack, shot to the block with sheetrock screwed to it.
then you are good with a 5/8" mud ring.

Status
Not open for further replies.