Help With Sales Line

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sparky555

One of the first typical questions I get when presenting a contract for work is "How long will it take you". Often they're trying to reverse engineer the hourly rate. I'm looking for a sales line to give, rather than a quantity of hours or days as a response to this question.

Dave

mdshunk

I generally handle uncomfortable questions with non responsive answers. It makes the other party feel I answered their question even if the answer was nonsense. Alternately, if the job in question was only a couple hours, I might answer something like, "I'll definitely be done today". "How long do I have?", might be another option.

480sparky

ultramegabob said:
just ask them when the deadline is, and gaurantee it will be done in time whatever it takes.

Suppose it's a 2-week job, but they say you have until tomorrow?

Many people just cannot grasp what our craft entails, and what is required to get the job done. The most electrical information they have is what they've seen on This Old House. And Kevin panders to them by getting involved with electrical to this extent:

"Well, as you can see, we've got the lighting all intalled, the rough-in of electrical is done and ready for inspection, and Master Electrician Allen Gallant is working on our new 200-amp electrical service."
They chit-chat for 15 seconds, and that's it. So many folks get the impression that a rewire of a 19th century 4-story Colonial can be done in less than a half hour.

Kevin-OConnor_toutlarge.jpg

Last edited:

ultramegabob

480sparky said:
Suppose it's a 2-week job, but they say you have until tomorrow?

Then I would pass on the job... anyone can come up with a smart alec "what if" response to anything someone suggests on here, I think when mdshunk posted this thread, he was looking for ways to politely avoid giving someone numbers that could be used against him on his "quote" if things go exteamly well, or if he
figgures out an easier or less expensive way to do somthing.

mdshunk

ultramegabob said:
I think when mdshunk posted this thread, he was looking for ways to politely avoid giving someone numbers that could be used against him on his "quote" if things go exteamly well, or if he
figgures out an easier or less expensive way to do somthing.
You betcha. When delivered in a somber deadpan, it seems completely un-smart-aleck like.

Sparky555

Charlie Greer had a line something like "I hope you won't be too disappointed if I'm quick and professional on this job". I was looking for some alternates. Thanks.

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.