Help with security and fire alarm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello.
I am a student at a technical college. We are currently working on a project that entails the lighting/fire alarm/security system/estimate of a halfway house. Does anyone know where i could get more information, such as the requirements for the security system? I also need to find how to draw the security symbols in AutoCad. Any help would, of course, be appreciated

ron

There are lots of websites that have symbols for that particular client or application. Search "drafting symbols" in google or yahoo.
There is no organization that I know of that makes standardized security device symbols like NFPA makes for fire alarm devices.

love9099

Security

Security

It would be best if you called in some professional consultants to help you. First you will need to know how much budget you have and then look at the wants and the needs of the project. Can you hardwired the building, does it have drop tile or will a wireless system be needed?

Do you need glass break detection? Does the fire system need to tie into the same system? If so the panel, wire and equipment will need different listings.
Do you need door contacts and or motion detection? How many keypads do you need? How many total zones or points do you need? Will you ever need more? How will it be monitored? Radio, Cell backup, PHone, Internet ?
If there is a chance that the people may try to defeat the system using magnets then I suggest using the BMS balanced Magnetic contacts which run more money but will be more secure.
Do you need to tie Temp sensors or water sensors into the same system?
Do you need to arm and disarm different areas at different places and times. Example: YOu can have a supply closet with a keypad where you have to have a code to arm and disarm in order to open it without setting off the alarm. This can be used for Medication, supplies etc.... You can have this armed all the time and then arm up the rest of the areas at night. After you have all the answers to these questions then you can write a specification and draw up plans and then request pricing from different companies. If you don't have something written up you will get pricing all over the board. Even if you have a specifiation and you don't have specific model numbers then your pricing will go from very low to very high. If you standardize on a specific type of equipment as a baseline then you won't get the super low bids. Good luck with your project.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Hello.
I am a student at a technical college. We are currently working on a project ...

It would be best if you called in some professional consultants to help you...

I think that this is a class project, love9099, not an honest-to-God build-it-for-real endeavor, although all the questions you raise about the requirements are spot on.

tavismunro, if you want help on estimation, you might see if your school subscribes to RS Means Cost Books. These guides can help you price all kinds of work. If you go to their web site you can even get hooked up to their on-line estimating service for a free trial.

love9099

I thought it sound like it

I thought it sound like it

I thought it sounded like it although we have a tech school here that actually does the real projects too so even if it is not a real project they could make up all the facts and then estimate it. Just a note: You can buy a $15 dollar motion detector and then you can spend $130 on a motion depending on the features, quality and the warranty and the same goes with contacts, glass breaks etc.....Thank you

love9099

Try this for a quick estimate (without all info)

Try this for a quick estimate (without all info)

D7412GV2-B Fire / Security Panel $500 BOSCH (Example) UL listed for both
D1255 Keypad $140
NAC panel D7038 $450
Smokes $60 x 9 = 540
1 Pull to meet basic code NFPA 72 $65
CO detectors that tie to alarm system $260
Tie flow and tamper directly to panel
Horn/Strobes $60 x 8 = $480 (may require more depending on building)
2 Motions for areas where no one should be at night $120 ($60 each)
BMS contacts $33 each x 12 = $396
Addressable modules D9127U $25 each
Conduit estimate for boxes (stub ups, free air) $220
FPLP wire $0.44 cents per foot or $440 for 1000 feet 18g4c SLC 14g2c NAC
Labor estimate for an existing building is a bit higher apx 40 hours total $3000
Quick PRICE $7000 to $8000 budget for this project. If you go to a General then the price will be a bit higher with their mark up. If you go with the Fire Alarm Contractor /Security or an Electrical Contractor that does it all it will be less. Check your local licensing requiremnts. Panel comes with 8 zones and you can address the rest.

nhfire77

Hello.
I am a student at a technical college. We are currently working on a project that entails the lighting/fire alarm/security system/estimate of a halfway house. Does anyone know where i could get more information, such as the requirements for the security system? I also need to find how to draw the security symbols in AutoCad. Any help would, of course, be appreciated

NFPA 730 and 731 are the standard for security systems/installations. They are new and could be written better, but start there for some info if you no nothing of security.

Status
Not open for further replies.