Help With Smoke Detector Wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

PB81

New User
Occupation
Maintenance
Hello. An old smoke detector just went bad in my house. I removed the smoke detector but the model, an old BRK 1839aci, has been discontinued. There are only two wires, a black wire and a white wire (No third wire), coming out of the wall. Both went directly, copper wire first, into two push slots on the back of the detector. One slot for the white wire and one slot for the black wire. After searching, I don't see any modern models with these two slots on the back for a black and white wire. All the models I have seen have a black, white and red wire. So a few questions:

1) If I wanted to replace it with an updated hardwired detector, would I have to wire the black to black, white to white and then just cap off the red wire on the new detector? Or would another red wire have to be added in the wall for the extra red wire on the detector?

2) If I wanted to just cap them off and get stand alone detectors instead, which is what I am probably going to end up doing, Do I just put a single wire nut for the black wire and a single nut for the white wire coming out of the wall and then put the wires back in the wall once finished capping? Thank you for your time.

Status
Not open for further replies.