Help With Square D Breaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
For any of you guys who use Square D breakers a lot, I need some help with a couple of breakers.

What is the difference between these two breakers?

EDB14020
EGB14020

Both also say Issue No. P-2169

Both are 277V and in the same panel. I only have a picture to go by but they look identical. I am guessing it's something with the AIC rating or trip limit?

bphgravity

EDB-EPD, EGB-EPD and EJB-EPD (Equipment Protection Device) Circuit Breakers for Ground Fault Protection in NF Panelboards:

> EDB = 18kA
> EGB = 35kA
> EJB = 65kA

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
EDB-EPD, EGB-EPD and EJB-EPD (Equipment Protection Device) Circuit Breakers for Ground Fault Protection in NF Panelboards:

> EDB = 18kA
> EGB = 35kA
> EJB = 65kA

Thanks, but from the pictures I have of the panel the breakers don't appear to be ground fault.

bphgravity

EDB, EGB and EJB Circuit Breakers are 1-pole thermal-magnetic circuit breakers with integral equipment ground fault protection. The ground fault protection level is fixed at 30mA per UL 1053 and is designed to protect equipment from damage.

Like standard branch breakers, these EPDs also provide branch circuit overload and short-circuit protection per UL 489 at 277V. The EDB, EGB and EJB Circuit Breakers mount in NF circuit breaker panelboards and interiors, each circuit breaker occupying two poles of space.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
EDB, EGB and EJB Circuit Breakers are 1-pole thermal-magnetic circuit breakers with integral equipment ground fault protection. The ground fault protection level is fixed at 30mA per UL 1053 and is designed to protect equipment from damage.

No they are not. GF protection is only included when the breaker part number ends with the suffix EPD.

ExB breakers are the standard branch breaker for use in NF panelboards.
The first digit is the style or frame of the breaker.
The middle digit designates the AIC rating of the breaker. At 480V D = 18kA, G = 35kA, and J = 65kA
The last digit designates it is bolt-on construction.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
No they are not. GF protection is only included when the breaker part number ends with the suffix EPD.

ExB breakers are the standard branch breaker for use in NF panelboards.
The first digit is the style or frame of the breaker.
The middle digit designates the AIC rating of the breaker. At 480V D = 18kA, G = 35kA, and J = 65kA
The last digit designates it is bolt-on construction.

Thanks Jim, that makes sense.
Here is a picture of the panel.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Thanks Jim, that makes sense.
Here is a picture of the panel.

Most likely the panelboard was original specified and purchased with 35kAIC breakers (EGB).
Overtime some additional circuits were probably added at 18kAIC, either based on the actual available fault current or, more likely through ignorance on the part of the supplier and installer.

kwired

Electron manager
Most likely the panelboard was original specified and purchased with 35kAIC breakers (EGB).
Overtime some additional circuits were probably added at 18kAIC, either based on the actual available fault current or, more likely through ignorance on the part of the supplier and installer.
I was going to mention that someone maybe didn't know what they were doing when selecting the EDB breakers, this could be a hazard lurking should they need to be EGB breakers. I bet there was a significant price difference influencing the selection decision as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.