Help with the ICC E1 and E2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redsfan

I'm not finding a lot of help with study guides for the E1 and E2 tests. Very important that I pass these test to gain employment at a new job I really want. Any help would be appreciated.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Can't imagine they'd be all that much different than most other journeyman and master tests.... :blink:

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
I'm not finding a lot of help with study guides for the E1 and E2 tests. Very important that I pass these test to gain employment at a new job I really want. Any help would be appreciated.

I've done the E1,E2 and E3. Taken as a group, I would say they are no more difficult, and probably less so, than most state master exams I've taken. Also very similar in difficulty to the IAEI inspector exams. If you are brave, they are short enough in duration that I'm sure PearsonVue would let you schedule them both on the same day. As with any trade exam, it is well advised to read the exam bulletin real carefully as a lot can be gleaned from it. Here is a link to the test bulletin:
http://www.iccsafe.org/wp-content/uploads/National_Certification_EIB-CBT.pdf

Redsfan

I bought study books one for the E1 and one for E2. However I took the E1 and failed. Many questions on the test weren't covered in the prep book. I do not particularly take tests well but felt very confident going into exam to walk out feeling terrible. I haven't studied or taken a test in 20 years. I've been a residential electrician for those 20 years. I've looked online for help. The job I'm going for doesn't have anyone who has even taken these tests.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
I bought study books one for the E1 and one for E2. However I took the E1 and failed. Many questions on the test weren't covered in the prep book. I do not particularly take tests well but felt very confident going into exam to walk out feeling terrible. I haven't studied or taken a test in 20 years. I've been a residential electrician for those 20 years. I've looked online for help. The job I'm going for doesn't have anyone who has even taken these tests.
What were the questions you felt weak on?

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
What you need practice with is navigating the code book. The only way to do that is to practice on any journeyman book. The key is to understand how the NEC i slayed out and just practice on yoru practice book by using keywords to find the answers to your practice questions.

Don't use the practice book and hope that you can memorize the answers. Learn how use the book.

Redsfan

Yes I agree. I knew some answers on the test but the ones I didn't I had a rough time navigating. Am I looking for a journeyman test book?

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

bphgravity

The sample questions used to be exam specific. It appears ICC has changed that to one generic page of questions...

In any case, there are a few simple techniques that can be employed to garner more success at the ICC exams. The concept is to not fail the exam due to issues not related to content. That is, if you fail an ICC exam because you don't know the subject matter, you simply need to study more and get more experience.

Unfortunately, many do not pass ICC exams due to poor time management, searching the question instead of looking up the answers, not using the process of elimination, not getting a good night and alcohol free sleep the day before the exam, etc., etc., etc...

Way back in the early 2000's while serving as an apprenticeship instructor, I decided to write an exam "tips and tricks" manual for my 4th students preparing to take the J-Mans Exam. It is a little dated, but still has some good suggestions that will work for the ICC exams as well. I have attached a copy.

Attachments

• TIPS AND TRICKS TO PASS THE ELECTRICAL EXAM.doc
    76.5 KB · Views: 14

Joe Villani

With my experience with these tests:

E2 & E3: As other have stated, any NEC test prep curriculum will be fine. Mike Holt, Snapz, and Tom Henry will greatly help. Both tests are straight out of the NEC.

The E1 is a bit different. The icc residential code has its own electrical section. While it is the same as the NEC it is presented a bit different. You will be tested on the icc residential code electrical section. You can pass the test with the NEC but remember it's about speed. The way the questions are worded I feel it's quicker to use the icc residential code book for this test and use the NEC as a back up.

Good luck!

Joe Villani

Redsfan

First of all thanks for all the info. As far as the ICC code book. Is that a book I would be allowed to take into the exam? What book exactly am I looking for? The exam I took was on the 2014 reidential E1.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
First of all thanks for all the info. As far as the ICC code book. Is that a book I would be allowed to take into the exam? What book exactly am I looking for? The exam I took was on the 2014 reidential E1.

Here's the exact reference you are looking for... but you'll have to discern what pertains to the tests you will be taking and what does not. Note the RCO states right up front that Chapters 2 through 24, 29, and 44 of the 2009 International Residential Code are used as the basis for the RCO. For actual verbiage of the ICC/IRC to apply, it must specifically be referenced (I think)...

http://www.com.ohio.gov/documents/dico_ResidentialCode10412.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.