Here is a pic I took today...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ultramegabob

it is a PVC LB and if you look closely, the smurf tube extends above the form an inch or two, and the LB is attached to the pole with zip ties....

480sparky

ultramegabob said:
it is a PVC LB and if you look closely, the smurf tube extends above the form an inch or two, and the LB is attached to the pole with zip ties....

My guess is the zip tie is to temporarily hold the LB to the pole until the 'crete sets up.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
ultramegabob said:
I will go back by tomorrow and see if they made any progress since I took the picture;)

they may possibly have made a change, but I'm not sure you will be able to label it "progress" :smile:

James@CHA

mdshunk said:
There might be!

No, these things were used quite a bit in the late 70's and through the early 90's when a ducted system could not be easily and economically fitted, a traditional PTAC would be too small, and where multiple PTAC's could not be easily accomodated. These "trailer packs" have some pretty high heating and cooling BTU ratings, where one or two might do the job that would take 8 or 10 PTAC's. Nowadays, people are favoring mini-splits with multiple indoor evaporators, but these trailer packs are still the "right thing to do" in certain circumstances.

The HVAC units you see on the church are still in use. I used to do electrical design (consultant) for many big cell phone companies, they all use these type of units on their equipment shelter.

Most cell carriers use a pre-fab concrete shelter with two of those HVAC units. They provide enough cooling to keep all of the electronics at an acceptable ambient temperature.

ultramegabob

update

update

just thought I post an update, still no change so far, I wonder if this is going to wind up being the finished product. I will post new pics if anything changes. and to answer kornbln's question, I think it only takes a few months for the sunlight to start breaking it down and it becomes brittle.

ENT is not for direct burial. It's ok encased in conrete but once it passes the forms it looks like it heads underground. Am I wrong?

kornbln said:
how long is it safe to leave that ENT exposed to sun light? Carlon ENT isn't UV resistant...

http://www.carlon.com/FAQs/FAQ-ENT.pdf

'We know from experience that unprotected outside storage of ENT may
result in brittleness in a 3 to 4 month period. ENT from the factory is stored with a white plastic wrap for storage and shipping to protect the product from the sun.'​

Status
Not open for further replies.