Hermetically sealed - who decides??

twoplates

Occupation
Product Development
I routinely build enclosures for class i, div 2 environments using components with rating agency approvals (marks) indicating they are suitable for Class i, div 2 areas. I also use terminal blocks for low voltage wiring I/O (12 vdc, 24 vdc, etc). I have a current project which requires a dc/dc step down conversion. I am contemplating using what appears to be a fully encapuslated (therefore hermetically sealed based on my understanding of the term) in this panel build. Only the I/O terminals are exposed, otherwise no possible air ingress as best i can tell. I have sourced several of these converters but none carry any mark indicating they are suitable for a hazardous area. Can I make the determination for myself that this is an acceptable device for this application giving the definition in the code but absent the marking?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Hermetically sealed only applies to devices with arc producing components such as contacts. I would expect the dc/dc converter is 100% electronic with no arc producing devices.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
The "Code" definition is:
Sealed, Hermetically. (Hermetically Sealed):

Sealed against the entrance of an external atmosphere, such that the seal is made by fusion of metal to metal, ceramic to metal, or glass to metal. (CMP-14)
Informational Note: See ANSI/UL 121201, Nonincendive Electrical Equipment for Use in Class I and II, Division 2 and Class III, Divisions 1 and 2 Hazardous (Classified) Locations, for additional information.
It says nothing about arc producing components. (So why are we sealing it?) I'll be the first to admit it's confusing. The next question is as the OP asks: Who Decides. I agree with Don it's reasonable to assume the converter is probably safe, but I'd expect and AHJ would still like to see the whole "assembly" identified.