Hi Volt powerlines

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcv

I just started a new construction project ,all job trailors are located directly under the POCO
power lines about 1 mile outside of the nearest substation.
All my temporary service is installed under these power lines, running overhead behind the trailors.
All the computer screens in all of these trailor are having interference that is causing the picture on the screen to have a waving effect.I would be very grateful for any comments or suggestions.
Thank you in advance
dcv :confused:

physis

Re: Hi Volt powerlines

I've always been taught that sheilding would help with this but I've never actually seen it help.

physis

I wonder if you can just sue the power company the way things are anymore? :D

[ February 09, 2005, 09:29 PM: Message edited by: physis ]

charlie

Move your construction trailers!!! They have no business under transmission lines. I highly recommend they be moved to the edge of the transmission easement. :D

charlie

Yes, for transmission lines. The exception is if the lines are in the public rights-of-way. Yes, we can build up to 138 kV on 95 to 115 Ft wood poles and even taller steel and concrete mono-poles. :D

dcv

Relocating the trailors is not an opinion, the area these trailors are in is a fenced storage area lease to companies from poco.
The job site area is very tight all available space is below these line .
To get a better idea of it the jobsite web cam is at http:/oxblue.com/client/foundationsurgery/cam1/
Thanks ,
dcv

physis

It looks like that job's big enough to handle some LCD's. I've seen contractors include heavy equipment in contracts.

dcv

No, I don't mind at all, in fact I would look forward to any ideas and comments on the electrical aspect of this site, I think it would be great to do this electrical installation with the members of Mike Holt watching and helping out with their experience. I only wish they could get a closer and a better view.
:) dcv

dcv

Parallel mostly, about 200 feet and about 60 feet of it is perpendicular to the powerlines.Distance between the lowest powerline and my temporary service at the closes point is about 40 feet or less.
dcv

physis

I thought I'd be able to post a real time image but it requires a shockwave engine and, at least I, don't know how to put that up.

But here's the link:

DCV's Construction Site

[ February 10, 2005, 10:11 PM: Message edited by: physis ]

Seems to me that whom ever was incharge of job site set up didnt take into consideration of what would take place with the computers. I vote that those trailers be moved for multiple reasons.
Moving things is always an option.
Who signed the paper accepting the location of the trailers?
And the fun has just started
Good luck :D

dcv

Sure we'll just shut down the jobsite,throw the job schedule in the trash until we get the trailors in a place where the computer screen work right.Take a look at the webcam site and suggest a place for the trailors to be relocated... hmmm maybe on the feeder road not to mention the cost impact of a job this far along.
I have talked with the owner of the warehouse business located in the back and he tells me that, he have had this same problem for a while now.

charlie

Since you are "stuck" there, I don't think anything will mitigate your monitors except replacing them with LED screens like Nick suggested in the first answer. It is too bad you are not building a parking lot or a park. Whatever the purpose of the building, there will always be problems on the side that is really close to the transmission line. :roll:

brentp

Craig,

Is the substation there to power your temp lts? WOW that's bright! :D

Curious to know if the owner's are aware of the problem they might have when they move in.

Brent

rattus

I would try grounding the aluminum skin of the trailers. Would help the capacitive coupling, would not help the inductive coupling though.

Status
Not open for further replies.