Hi Volt powerlines

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcv

Re: Hi Volt powerlines

bright... ha... 100 watt bulbs ....nothin' like 'em.... ,I wish I could afford one of those LCD screens,guess I'm stuck with old school tech for now. Maybe I can talk the boss into taking it out of my check......along with a new SMALLER cell phone instead of the WW2 size military phone I have now.
Anyway,this will be a Hospital (the building that's standing at this time)which is hiding a parking deck going up on the far side. There will also be a doctors building and a another parking deck located between the camera and the bright 400 - 100 watt bulbs you see now.And this site is located is Houston Texas .
You have a good point Brent, with all of the hos. equipment (MRI's,CT SCANs,RADIOLOGY and O.R.'s) I think a future problem may be headed for the owner after the move in. hmmmm... food for thought.
Thanks for the comments and help all, and I welcome any future questions or Ideas directed at this jobsite.I have picture of the things going on inside,and underground,or I can take pictures of anything in particular for anyone.
Thanks Again
DCV :)

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC

I wish I could afford one of those LCD screens...

They are not expensive any more. Dell is giving them away with the purchase of $800 machines.

-Hal

[ February 12, 2005, 02:48 PM: Message edited by: hbiss ]

karl riley

Are you saying that a hospital is going under these lines or near them? Incredible if true.

The monitors are waving because the strong magnetic field from the lines is developing a beat frequency with the mag field controling the monitor electron stream.

Get a $150 gaussmeter and measure. Above 4 mG puts it in childhood leukemia territory. For adults, some types of brain tumor show up more frequently than chance. I would guess you have over 12mG there.

I would not spend more than a day in that location (which I have to do at times as an EMF consultant).

If you want some orientation consult with the Austin Texas utility and ask to speak with their EMF guy. Austin has spent a lot of money keeping fields like those away from their citizens.

I understand that you are not considering the feasibility of moving the trailers. Suppose you were inside a nuclear dump. Would you also say you just gotta stay? When does the alarm go off in your head? You can solve the computer problem but there are computer operators. Are you going to shield them also? Grounding does nothing. You would need a mu metal box enclosing the trailer. Less expensive to move it.

It' Saturday night. I'm going to bed.

Karl

karl riley

I just took a look at the photo. Looks like someone goofed big time. Not a place for a hospital. Putting aside direct health effects, you are right that there may be huge interference problems with electronic instruments if the hospital is near the lines.

I can see some big time law suits setting up. Someone needs to do a magnetic field survey so you know what you are getting into.

Karl

dcv

I have talked with a few of the other business owners and employees, off in the back area of the photo some have been there for 20 years or better,they have had no known health problem to speak of or knew of any in the passed.
However,I did hear of this years ago, but never learned much on it, I have read about the health risk on the Internet, I only found stories about powerlines causing cancer where people lived and worked under them much like a farmer.Still, spending 8 hours a day under them leaves me uneasy to say the least. Can you give me more info on this?
Thanks,
DCV

catchtwentytwo

:mad: If the "design professional" doesn't react after seeing the pc monitors, dcv better look for another job and consider getting the local press involved (anonymously). He may get dragged into litigation down the road, better talk to an attorney sooner rather than later. Maybe there's a "whistle-blower" statue that applies.

karl riley

dcv, the most extensive review of health effects from power frequency magnetic fields was done by the Calif Health Services. Their 2001 conclusions after years of study cited childhood leukemia, adult brain cancer, Lou Gehrig's Disease, and miscarriage as showing increase of frequency in magnetic fields of over 2 mG.

The CA DHS website is very difficult to navigate but if you want to read the executive summary go to www.dhs.ca.gov/ps/deodc/ehib/emf/RiskEvaluation/ExecSumm.PDF/

Karl

charlie

There are others that feel like the case has not been proven. I am on that side and, I hope, it is not the same as the tobacco industry through the years of their denial.

In this case, they will be fighting interference with their equipment from the time they take possession of the new building until the transmission line is either buried or until it is relocated. I predict that one of those two will happen and I wonder who will pay the freight. :D

karl riley

Charlie, you are right that the health case has not been proven. Neither has it been proven that smoking causes cancer. In science, it is a question of the evidence building up and the probability increasing to the point that individuals and agencies feel obliged to act.

In the case of EMFs the evidence exceeds chance, but has not reached the point where the majority of individuals and agencies feel obliged to act. So it usually comes down to one's personality as to whether one takes action or not.

Luckily adherence to NEC takes care of almost all exposure from internal wiring, which has been shown to be the primary source of elevated magnetic fields.

I think in the case of hospitals the interference problem you point out is a primary concern. Whether hospitals are more health conscious than the average business is an open question.

Karl

I've been on several jobs where electromagnetic fields cause computer screens to flicker. First suggestion would be to move the trailers, but since you can't, try changing the monitor refresh rate from "optimal" to 60hz. That matches the screen refresh to the same as the EMF frequency. That might work if the EMF is in the 10 to 15 mg range. If that doesn't work you'll have to go to a LCD screen. I've tried sheilding with no luck.

physis

Whether hospitals are more health conscious than the average business is an open question.
This is the question I can't stop asking myself about this project. I strongly suspect that nobody on the executive end is unaware of the condition.

Medical equipment is built to the highest standards along with aerospace. I expect the burden will be placed on the equipment manufacturers in regard to interference.

physis

try changing the monitor refresh rate from "optimal" to 60hz.
I didn't think of that. It's an excellent idea. Try to stay away from harmonics like 1/2 or 1/3 or 1/4 or 1/6. My monitor uses a lot of alternate frequencies that are harmonic.

I think the 60 Hz. choise would be the worst though. That's probaly where it is now and causes standing waves.

dcv

Update I have talked with the Project Manager for the G.C., he told me that readings and a study of this site concerning these powerline has been done and submitted to T.D.H. for aproval before breaking ground on this site. T.D.H. has given exact dimension on the space between the hospital and the closes powerline and of course this space has to be maintained.I don't know if it is enough or not it will be about 200 feet or better either way thats not for me to decide.
dcv

charlie

It sounds to me like you have done due diligence. It is time to just do your job . . . Uh . . . and get some LCD monitors. :D

karl riley

200 feet should be enough. If they specify that for the hospital why do they ask you to be directly underneath?

It's every man for himself, ultimately.

Karl

Contact Childrens Ortopedic Hospital in Seattle, as the did some research on health issues involving power line proxcimity; the WSU medical ctr has also done research in this field.
Are you locked into this job with no way out? The reason I ask is that I too believe that someplace down the road someone will file a law suit.

dcv

Thank you Charlie, I was starting to wonder if I still had a friend left after this thread.

Karl, I don't believe anyone required that the trailors be set up where they are now, I believe It was a act on the G.C.'s part to do so ,course will out knowing of any dangers.And before other trades had showed up. And as you can see in the photo there is really no other place on this site.
The webcam doesn't really give justice to the lack of room.again,thanks for your helpful site very interesting reading.

Kilewatt2002, I suppose I am locked in as long as this job continues,unless I quit my job and look for a job with safer surroundings....hmmm I wonder if Halliburton is still hiring.... :D
dcv

charlie

I am sure there is some electrical work to be done if you are up to roadside bombs going off on the way to work.
speechless-smiley-015.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.