HID lights burn out prematurely

Status
Not open for further replies.

faresos

Why would some Exterior lights (HID or induction lamps) burn out prematurely? They are located northern climates, not sure if it?s high winds, extreme cold, or what.

Any thoughts...

Thanks

broadgage

In the case of HID lamps I would suspect fake or defective lamps as the most likely cause.

Other possibilities include wrong line voltage, wrong frequency, or excesive vibration if atop poles or masts in windy conditions.

A 240 volt ballast , or the 240 volt tap on a multi voltage unit, will over run the lamp on a 277 volt supply with consequent short life.

A 50 cycle ballast on a 60 cycle line will have a 20% higher impedance and under run the lamp which may shorten the life, and not extend it as one might expect.

Or of course they might be the wrong lamps for the ballast or fixture.

Over frequent switching can kill HID lamps, though induction lamps should be fine.

Cold should not be a problem in itself, unless severe enough to shatter the lamps.

HID Light

HID Light

One possiblity. Many of the manufacturers sell lites with a *BU designation, meaning burn in the BASE UP direction. I have found unless I specifiy a "U" designation on the lamp, meaning burn in any direction, the vendor will ship me what ever they have on the shelf. Burning a BU light in the wrong alignment can cost up to 25% of the life of the light.
Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.