High School Students....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been asked to talk to some high school students who participate in our county's career center. They have a solid electrical education program for high school juniors and seniors. I have been asked to speak this Friday in a "round table" Q & A setting with 10-12 students. Does anyone have any advice on how to connect, or what topics to discuss with these potential future electricians?

Knuckle Dragger

Master Electrician Electrical Contractor 01752
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
For starters.
You need to be positive and upbeat. Talk about what they can bring into the trade and how much better it (the trade)will be their knowledge of tech being second nature to them. There's more but I just don't have time to write right now sounds like a good opportunity. Good luck!

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
I did this one time a couple of years ago.. Talk about nervous...

They need to ask some starter questions, then After a bit they will quieten down with nothing to ask. That’s your opportunity to expand on another topic.
years ago I interned with an old engineer that told me “it isn’t what you know, but what you understand”

you may find out they “know“ things but don’t truly understand the hows and whys.
That’s you opportunity to explain some things and really connect some dots for them.

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
Demonstrate something. Wire up a 3-way switch circuit. Then a 4-way. Use battery power and knife switches so they can -see- where the electricity goes!

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
Demonstrate something. Wire up a 3-way switch circuit. Then a 4-way. Use battery power and knife switches so they can -see- where the electricity goes!
And show them how to let the magic smoke out of a circuit!

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I would say that being an electrician is an interesting, rewarding and creative profession that does not require paying for college and pays very well. It's also a job that cannot be outsourced to a foreign country.

Wykkyd_1

Occupation
Master Electrician - Maint. Supervisor
I would say that being an electrician is an interesting, rewarding and creative profession that does not require paying for college and pays very well. It's also a job that cannot be outsourced to a foreign country.
(first post) I would also say that an electrician might not be just one 'thing'. Explain about how there are MANY different specialties and sub-specialties. There are so many choices of what you can and/or want to do.

SceneryDriver

Occupation
Electrical and Automation Designer
(first post) I would also say that an electrician might not be just one 'thing'. Explain about how there are MANY different specialties and sub-specialties. There are so many choices of what you can and/or want to do.

And if any of the students are good at logic and programming, there's also the entire branch of the industry that deals with controls and automation. Design, construction, and programming of control panels and systems is an entire skill set unto itself that often falls under "electrician-ing." :)

I tripped and fell into that portion of the industry, and it's been very rewarding; both financially and personally. Controls and Automation has taken me to jobs all over the world.

SceneryDriver

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
And if any of the students are good at logic and programming,

Don't forget communications and networks, and even smart phone apps.
Our industry is not as cybersecure as it needs to be.
Customers want to see information (e.g. individual breaker loading) available over the internet.
Circuit breakers are being offered with blue-tooth connectivity.
It is clear the 'coders' often don't understand the needs and limitations of the electrical industry.

Status
Not open for further replies.