Highbay Light Connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
How would you connect a highbay LED light that only has a cord, no cord cap? If you put a junction box and insert the cord, would that be a mis-use of cord? Meaning the cord being a part of the permanent wiring.
Here's a link to the light.

4-20mA

an analog man in a digital world
Occupation
Instrumentation & Electrical
How would you connect a highbay LED light that only has a cord, no cord cap? If you put a junction box and insert the cord, would that be a mis-use of cord? Meaning the cord being a part of the permanent wiring.
Here's a link to the light.

Not if you went into a 4x4 blank with 1/2KO, then it would be removable.

d17e4bd70a76ceca30303a1597913b81.jpg

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
If you meant 410.62(C), I'm not seeing where it says it can't be hardwired providing the requirements are met.
FWI, I don't agree with the Code but.......
(a)cord and plug connected OR
(b) luminaire assembly is equipped with a strain relief & canopy (yours has no canopy)** OR
(c) Art 604 applies

Personally I think a cover with KO should serve as a a canopy but ...charlies rule...it says what it says

Attachments

• 1680306047658.png
    1680306047658.png
    555.9 KB · Views: 6

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
It obviously gets dowm to a judgement call.. the actual wording says "A luminaire assembly equipped with a strain relief and canopy". Our inspectors have ruled that the wording means a factory assembly including a canopy (common for some fixtures)....

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
FWI, I don't agree with the Code but.......
(a)cord and plug connected OR
(b) luminaire assembly is equipped with a strain relief & canopy (yours has no canopy)** OR
(c) Art 604 applies

Personally I think a cover with KO should serve as a a canopy but ...charlies rule...it says what it says
How would a plug on the end make it any better, or safer, than hardwiring it? It has a ring/hoop that you hang on a hook, then it has a safety cable that you attach, and I plan on using a strain relief.

These will be 14' up and I think I will hardwire them and hope the inspector is nearsighted! :)

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
It obviously gets dowm to a judgement call.. the actual wording says "A luminaire assembly equipped with a strain relief and canopy". Our inspectors have ruled that the wording means a factory assembly including a canopy (common for some fixtures)....
OK. I don't think the wording supports that requirement vs just a blank cover and cord grip, but it's not my decision. Presumably a third party kit like below would be acceptable (assuming the cord grip is the right size for the cord in the OP) ?

[That one is https://www.amazon.com/Canomo-Ceiling-Lighting-Modern-Hardware/dp/B0865HJ85R no experience, just a web search result.]

Cheers, Wayne

51WKpy4ujsL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.