Highlighted Codebooks

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparky723

Whose highlighted codebook is best? Holt, Stallcup,Henry,etc....?
I need to buy a new 2008 codebook and the first thing I'll need it for is my Master's test.

Thanks for your input.
Sparky723

SiddMartin

completly agree with all of the above. The more time you spend in that book, highlighting or whatever, the better you will be and the faster you will get and finding the information needed to pass.

also, use more then one color highlighter. Maybe one color for topics only and another for important info.

celtic

I can sell you a completely highlighted copy of the NEC....actually, the whole thing is highlighted ~ with a clear highlighter. :)

I agree with the others as well.
You need to spend time with the book ...reading it and highlighting it yourself. You will become more familiar with the text and spend less time flipping through it during the test.

jm1470

sparky723 said:
Whose highlighted codebook is best? Holt, Stallcup,Henry,etc....?
I need to buy a new 2008 codebook and the first thing I'll need it for is my Master's test.

Thanks for your input.
Sparky723

You better check with your state licensing board and make sure you can use a highlighted code book. My state dosen't even let you bring a code book into the room they provide you with one. For use during the test.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
jm1470 said:
You better check with your state licensing board and make sure you can use a highlighted code book. My state dosen't even let you bring a code book into the room they provide you with one. For use during the test.

Same here in NC. They furnish code book, calculator, scratch paper, and pencil all of which must be left in the exam room when you leave.

Room

sparky723

Hi-lighted codebks.

Hi-lighted codebks.

I do ALOT of my own highlighting. My 2005 book is PACKED with my own hi-lighting...I guess my question should be: Is it worth it to buy a pre-highlighted book from a person (Holt, Henry, Stallcup) who has ALOT more knowledge of the codebook than I do and may hilight some important areas that I may miss??

I have taken the Master's test on PC every time now. Should I try pencil and paper? I live in TEXAS, where it is permissible to carry your own codebook in WITH highlights and ANYTHING written in it as long as it is in INK (formulas, calculation examples,etc...) Which is why I'd like to have a very complete book.

ALSO,I'd like to ask the members another question:
What do ya'll feel are the most important things to have highlighted?

I have GOT to get this test passed. This past time I took it, I felt very confident, but then after I turned the test in, I failed. I think that if the ICC would give the question 'plain and simple', it would be better than "beating around the bush". You spend your 3 minutes per question figuring out what they want.

Along with everyone else's replies, I'd like to hear from the TEXAS electricians who are Master's and/or J-men having the same struggle.

Thanks for ya'lls time, and I apologize for any ramblin'.
sparky723

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
chris kennedy said:
Was the exam room wired as per 517.13?:wink:

Funny you should ask, when I took mine the guy next to me was infact taking a Medical (Gynecology, no joke) exam. I guess they try to seat people next to those testing for something other than what they are testing for.

Roger

ItsHot

cheat

cheat

roger said:
Funny you should ask, when I took mine the guy next to me was infact taking a Medical (Gynecology, no joke) exam. I guess they try to seat people next to those testing for something other than what they are testing for.

Roger
Good thing you didn't cheat off of him!:D

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
roger said:
Funny you should ask, when I took mine the guy next to me was infact taking a Medical (Gynecology, no joke) exam.

Roger
I find it interesting that the allotted time is the same for both exams.:confused:

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
chris kennedy said:
I find it interesting that the allotted time is the same for both exams.:confused:

Actuall they weren't, there were a few different exams going on in the room lasting from 4 to 8 hrs.

He told me his exam was only one of a number of exams he was going to have to take

Roger

SiddMartin

sparky723 said:
I do ALOT of my own highlighting. My 2005 book is PACKED with my own hi-lighting...I guess my question should be: Is it worth it to buy a pre-highlighted book from a person (Holt, Henry, Stallcup) who has ALOT more knowledge of the codebook than I do and may hilight some important areas that I may miss??

I have taken the Master's test on PC every time now. Should I try pencil and paper? I live in TEXAS, where it is permissible to carry your own codebook in WITH highlights and ANYTHING written in it as long as it is in INK (formulas, calculation examples,etc...) Which is why I'd like to have a very complete book.

ALSO,I'd like to ask the members another question:
What do ya'll feel are the most important things to have highlighted?

Along with everyone else's replies, I'd like to hear from the TEXAS electricians who are Master's and/or J-men having the same struggle.

Thanks for ya'lls time, and I apologize for any ramblin'.
sparky723

PA's ICC rules were the same as mentioned for TEXAS, however, when they say you can bring your own code w/ highlights, I believe that is different then a highlighted book (by mfgr). This I would check into

iaov

I agree with the guys that say highlight your own book. You have to read it to do that and the only way to pass any states masters exam is to realy know that code book!!:smile:

SEO

In Michigan code books are not allowed to be tagged or highlighted. All code books ar gone thru prior to test.

Status
Not open for further replies.