hit the road

Status
Not open for further replies.

southernboys

hey guys im 26 single Ive been working for a local residential company for the past 5 months I enjoy the company and the work pay is good however Ive got a shot at making $6 an hour more working locally on navy bases. I have commercial experience but havent bent pipe in a couple of years. I dont know much about the parent company and I would be employed by a labor ready type company If u had this type of opportunity would you take it or stay with a company youve already established yourself at thanks

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Re: hit the road

$6 an hour is a big jump. Your single, so other obligations are not as big and issue as they might be.

As long as you are otherwise financially stable, and you actually want to do this kind of work, why not?

If you are living paycheck to paycheck, it might be better to stick to a more secure thing, rather than jumping into something unknown.

It all boils down to your own personal circumstances and your own situation.

bigjohn67

Steady money is better than no money. Sounds like to me in 6 mos you'll have No Money.

Stay where you are.

highkvoltage

Be honest with your present employer and explain your position. If he likes your work he should counter offer. Maybe not the full $6 but should be an amount that shows you he wants you to stay and have a future with him. Worse case scenerio he tell you to hit the bricks and just saved you alot of time going nowhere.

mro

Here's some ideas that might help.
1: Licensing and time: I knew a guy that served as an electrician on a ship in the armed forces for several years, (commercial/ Industrial stuff) but the State of Colorado would not accept his TIME to be applied toward his license (journeyman). So he had to start his time for his license from the beginning. Will the State let you count that experience towards any licenses? Labor Ready/ Temp agencies cannot Register you as an electrician because they are not a contractor. (Something I learned in Colorado, might be different in your State)

2: Ask your present employer to help you, (raise, overtime hours, etc.)

3: $6.00 an hour extra sounds like a great deal, but how long will it last? Are there future openings/ positions after that? Ask lots of questions. Be honest with yourself. :)

[ March 05, 2005, 11:25 PM: Message edited by: mro ]

jimwalker

Be carefull working for labor staffers.They often promise more than they will pay.Often its short term work.Look at it this way,if you go there and 2 weeks later they say we don't need you will you be able to get a job as good as what you have now ? Your taking a big risk for a short term job,in the end you might loose.If you had no job right now then sure go.Also watch what they make you sign ,often it blocks you from being employed by the company that uses you as a temp.

Status
Not open for further replies.