Holmes on Holmes Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

massfd

Have seen this multiple times on the show

Does anyone see a problem with how they handle NM cable? Again tonight they pulled NM thru a bored hole at a 90 degree angle to the hole. They way they handle NM they may as well tie the end to a truck and pull, damaged jacket has to result from the rough handling.

I always handle cable like it is fragile, never want to nick the jacket

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
Have seen this multiple times on the show

Does anyone see a problem with how they handle NM cable? Again tonight they pulled NM thru a bored hole at a 90 degree angle to the hole. They way they handle NM they may as well tie the end to a truck and pull, damaged jacket has to result from the rough handling.

I always handle cable like it is fragile, never want to nick the jacket

You never want to nick the jacket that is hack arama and i would not be able to walk away from NM with damaged jackets.

ritelec

sick to my stomach

sick to my stomach

My brother in law loves this guy (not that way).
Personally, I can't stomach him.

Shaking his head, the other contractor this or that...........

Question though................last nights episode he put on his electricians hat........again with the other contractor bashing.

He had me scratching my head by mentioning how a gfci can not be fed from another gfci...............that it doesn't work. That was news to me.
The "other" electrician fed a gfci device at the hydromassage bath tub from a gfci device in the basement. Holmes said the gfci would not work because of the gfci feeding another gfci, and that the circuit would have to be a gfci breaker, and
the other electrician was too cheap to use a breaker. Where does it say the "circuit" has to be protected on a gfci breaker????

Secondly, the "other" electrician filled the panel and Holmes says there has to be 2 spaces left for future expansion. Where does it say something like that????

He seems to know what he's doing, I like his tile work, pretty funny though how I see tilers thin set away and lay tile, but when Holmes does it, here's a layer of orange membrane, followed by more sheathing, followed by my black
membrane, followed by this or that then finally here comes the tile. He's also a stickler for vapor barriers, .............................................................excuse me ......................:sick:

Gac66610

My brother in law loves this guy (not that way).
Personally, I can't stomach him.

Shaking his head, the other contractor this or that...........

Question though................last nights episode he put on his electricians hat........again with the other contractor bashing.

He had me scratching my head by mentioning how a gfci can not be fed from another gfci...............that it doesn't work. That was news to me.

really imo it depends on how its fed through, i would not do this, unless all wire are on the line side

The "other" electrician fed a gfci device at the hydromassage bath tub from a gfci device in the basement. Holmes said the gfci would not work because of the gfci feeding another gfci, and that the circuit would have to be a gfci breaker, and
the other electrician was too cheap to use a breaker. Where does it say the "circuit" has to be protected on a gfci breaker????

just easier to find the gfci when/if it trips

Secondly, the "other" electrician filled the panel and Holmes says there has to be 2 spaces left for future expansion. Where does it say something like that????

well he is in Canada may have different code there? doesnt make sense to me if another electrician comes in ... in the future and uses the 2 remaining spaces, does he need to supply 2 more?

He seems to know what he's doing, I like his tile work, pretty funny though how I see tilers thin set away and lay tile, but when Holmes does it, here's a layer of orange membrane, followed by more sheathing, followed by my black
membrane, followed by this or that then finally here comes the tile. He's also a stickler for vapor barriers, .............................................................excuse me ......................:sick:

yeah he doesnt like minimum codes, not sure to many people could afford an entire house built by him
i like the principle of doing it right

GeorgeB

ElectroHydraulics engineer (retired)
Occupation
Retired
Holmes said the gfci would not work because of the gfci feeding another gfci, and that the circuit would have to be a gfci breaker, ...
I guess he has never used a GFCI "dongle" and had it in a GFCI protected outlet, either as an outlet, or via breaker? Many plants in which I work require I use it, even though mot of their receptacles are protected. No problem .... yet ... but I've wondered why my test button never trips the source.

stickboy1375

I dont blame his statement entirely on himself, some uneducated person probably shared this lack of truth to him. We've all been misinformed about something in the trade.

gar

Occupation
EE
120428-1020 EDT

GeorgeB:

If you open a GFCI and study the circuit you will find the test resistor is between hot and neutral when activated. The resistor is from the input hot to output neutral side of the current transformer, or vice versa, causing the current transformer to see an imbalance when the test resistor is connected. External to the GFCI this does not produce an imbalance between hot and neutral.

The EGC terminal of the GFCI is connected to none of the GFCI circuitry.

In the new Leviton GFCI the test resistor does not trip the device. Tripping on operation of the test button is strictly mechanical. However, on pushing the RESET button the test resistor is used to prevent resetting of the GFCI if there is a circuit failure. This is a better test method compared to using the resistor to just trip the breaker on initiation of the test because the test is done when the device is reactivated.

ritelec

I dont blame his statement entirely on himself, some uneducated person probably shared this lack of truth to him. We've all been misinformed about something in the trade.

And now he's misinforming a TV addicted nation...............................:sick:

Yes Gac..................the "if you fill those two spots, would you have to proved two more free spots" was on my mind and thinking that same thing???

:sick:

HOLMES for president !.......................................naw.....I'll change the channel TY.

stickboy1375

And now he's misinforming a TV addicted nation...............................:sick:

Yes Gac..................the "if you fill those two spots, would you have to proved two more free spots" was on my mind and thinking that same thing???

HOLMES for president !.......................................naw.....I'll change the channel TY.

All those shows are ridiculous, I do enjoy how he bashes all the hack trades though.... He's a good mentor for people that think they can do it, but in reality... they cant.

Gac66610

DUDE! ...... careful these are new shoes:cool: watch where you :sick: ............ :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.