Home advisor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
"There is a huge requests for panel changes in your area"!:roll:
That's one of their standard lines of "crap" they hand you.

I blocked them from calling me, now whoever was calling me is using a cell phone and sending me text messages!:rant:

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
"There is a huge requests for panel changes in your area"!:roll:
That's one of their standard lines of "crap" they hand you.

I blocked them from calling me, now whoever was calling me is using a cell phone and sending me text messages!:rant:

my annoying calls fall in four categories:

1. U.S. Pharmacy, wanting to sell me oxycontin from china. boiler rooms with
asians speaking bad english, fresh off the boat, reading a script.

2. an industrial supply house in arizona that uses people from around the country
calling me on their cell phones to sell me air compressors

3. "Father Manassas" who sends me voice exhortations to "listen to the prophet".
he doesn't want money, and you can't make the calls stop.
between 10~30 times a week. up to five in a single day.

4. search engine optimization companies guaranteeing me first page results on
google for a mere pittance.

i used to get upset when i'd get these calls, but now, i have fun with them
sometimes. given my penchant for politically incorrect things i can say,
it's a welcome target for any and all bile i feel like spitting out at any
wrong i've experienced at the hands of man, beast, or fate.

if they don't like what i say, they can quit calling me. they haven't stopped
yet, so they must really like it.

what i'd *really* like to do, is set up an autodialer that would call these
numbers over, and over.... forever. something internet based, out of a
server offshore.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
My phone company allows me to enter a phone number on a blocked list. All future calls from that number receive a recorded message to the effect that the number they dialed is not receiving calls at this time. I don't know how many phone numbers I can block. But I have only used it once. It was a caller that claimed there was a legal proceeding against me and that I need to call them to resolve the matter. I actually did call them once, in a wasted effort to convince them they have the wrong number. I was told that they have a client with a legitimate claim against me, and that they will call me every day until I satisfy their requirements. That is when I blocked the number, and (surprisingly) I never heard from them again.

if your a new small company, home adviser can be an ok way of getting your name out there.especially if you like doing small service calls but it can get expensive. you need to be johnny on the spot when they call you or text you about a lead, 9 out of ten times the first electrician to call will get the job if there is one. and be ready you will be charged for people calling who are just looking and not really ready to hire. on average you will need to get at least 2-3 jobs a month to break even pending on where you set your lead level at. but occasionally you get a great lead that can bring you in good money. If your looking for Construction jobs its not the best resource but if you like fixing broke receptacles or adding lights ( basic get in and get out service work then its great but you can probably generate the same amount of work with a good facebook campaign for free.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
what i'd *really* like to do, is set up an autodialer that would call these
numbers over, and over.... forever. something internet based, out of a
server offshore.
The numbers that show up on your caller ID are not real...in most cases if you try to call them, you get a "number out of service" message.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
if your a new small company, home adviser can be an ok way of getting your name out there.especially if you like doing small service calls but it can get expensive. you need to be johnny on the spot when they call you or text you about a lead, 9 out of ten times the first electrician to call will get the job if there is one. and be ready you will be charged for people calling who are just looking and not really ready to hire. on average you will need to get at least 2-3 jobs a month to break even pending on where you set your lead level at. but occasionally you get a great lead that can bring you in good money. If your looking for Construction jobs its not the best resource but if you like fixing broke receptacles or adding lights ( basic get in and get out service work then its great but you can probably generate the same amount of work with a good facebook campaign for free.

That's very accurate. Good objective overview.

I used to buy leads from them, tried the service twice.

The first time, I was accepting leads throughout the whole Metro area, whereas I lived on the far East end. I was not set up for phone/text alerts, preferring to check my emails after I got home. I either got no answer, or they had hired someone else, or it was too far away from my current job to go give give an estimate by the time they needed. I gave up after about 3 months

The second time, they offered me a month complete free to come back, and they coached me. I limited the area I'd accept leads by selecting zip codes close to where I do 80% of my work. That way it wasn't too far to go.

Started getting alerts by text and made those phone calls immediately. My closing rate went way up. The work was a mix, but mostly small stuff. Here's some of the stuff I got from them:

Add dryer plug and circuit (two different jobs)
Repair attic fan
New fixtures and devices in a bathroom
200amp service upgrade
Replace meter can
Replace fixtures and devices, whole house
Replace WP gfci
Add bath vent fan
Change microwave over range

This is right off the top of my head. I know I had more small stuff, and this was over a 3-4 month period about 3 years ago. I would have continued using them, but the leads just stopped coming. No idea why. But now I'm busier.

Overall, a small guy can benefit. But there are always going to be tire kickers, and it's worse on the internet.

I like the idea of a good Facebook campaign for free.

Daja7

It is not a rip off but it can be a pain. It is designed for the smaller service guy. It is my cheapest lead generator that I have. You had better be ready to call the requester Immediately, I mean immediately. Have it texted to your phone. You will pay for every lead but they are not a lot in the grand scheme of things. ( build it into your price just like any other overhead) Advertising is very expensive. Face book may be ok if you are very adept at this type of stuff but normally you have to pay someone to manage it or it is ineffective. I set my area, the type of work I want. You get some tire kickers but my experience has been relatively positive. I get about 150 to 220 leads per year and close about 60%. Even if it is a small job, if you do it well you have a new customer for repeat business. Cheap enough to try for 6 months. I average $1400.00 to $1,800.00 per year in lead fees that generated $69,000.00 in revenue last year.

Using Home Advisor

Using Home Advisor

Does anyone use the service Home Advisor? Is it a rip off is it something worth while?
I don't know if my answer is good timing for you, or too late. We have been signed up with Home Advisor (HA) for several years. It is a very aggressive lead generating company that advertises everywhere, and fortunately we get several leads a week. Each lead costs a little, $14-$30-$70 depending on how big the project is. Frankly I am surprised how many people use HA to get professional services. I get a lot of duds- people kicking the tires, people planning but not ready to buy. And many others are really good leads.
It's 1 more way to attract business to your door.

kwired

Electron manager
I don't know if my answer is good timing for you, or too late. We have been signed up with Home Advisor (HA) for several years. It is a very aggressive lead generating company that advertises everywhere, and fortunately we get several leads a week. Each lead costs a little, $14-$30-$70 depending on how big the project is. Frankly I am surprised how many people use HA to get professional services. I get a lot of duds- people kicking the tires, people planning but not ready to buy. And many others are really good leads.
It's 1 more way to attract business to your door.
So do you pay fees to HA for those "tire kickers" that you did not work for?

If so, I'm not saying it isn't worth it but you need to have enough profiting jobs to offset the cost paid on those that never hire you.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
So do you pay fees to HA for those "tire kickers" that you did not work for?

If so, I'm not saying it isn't worth it but you need to have enough profiting jobs to offset the cost paid on those that never hire you.

I have not been with HA for a long while, but if I remember correctly, as soon as you get the information about the lead, "BOOM" you card gets charged. If they (the tire kicker) does not work out, tough luck.

romex jockey

Occupation
electrician
The entire concept of national maintenance pimps is to beat us down on our $$, while subjugating us to scrutiny , so they can take their cut

ain't my cuppa, thx

~RJ~

Status
Not open for further replies.