Home Generator Panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Already in the process,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but my question didnt concern that.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
could the feeder from the generator be run through a detached garage or not? For noise issues I'd rather put it under a lean too on the other side of the Garage, and run the wiring through the detached garage then underground between the detached garage and the outside wall of the house.
Not sure wether running the wiring through the garage would be a violation or not. It would be easier than going around it.but I will if I need to.

I'm just not that familiar with Generator Installations.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
From what your saying your panel in the house is a sub panel. If so requires 4 wire feeder. House must have main breaker unless you only have 6 breakers. And as such neutrals and ground must be seperate and nuetral bar can not be bonded to panel.
The panel your adding is a second service .

Under the 2005 NEC and earlier editions, 250.32(B) permitted a person to not run an EGC with a feeder to a detached building and to use the grounded conductor to bond the detached structure.

Also remember that we are talking about an equipment grounding conductor being run from the service pedestal to the home not a GEC. There should be a grounding electrode installed at the service pedestal and another grounding electrode system installed at the home.

Chris

I'm curious why this guy's install is ok and you were saying that mine was'nt.

yucan2

Is this allowed in the 2008 code?
the interlock kit prevents a utility back feed
but the 30amp outlet cant feed the WHOLE house
Isnt that now required?
(the generator must be capable of carrying the load without mechanical load shedding)

Just a clarification or a question, as I may be in error as well. But, it is my understanding that the use of an ATS does not mean that the genny must have the capacity to service the "whole house" but only the entire load that is being transferred by the ATS.

We sell numerous smaller units 8-14kW which obviously are not capable of carrying an entire home nor were they meant to and they are installed in tandem with an ATS.

Status
Not open for further replies.