Home Standby Generator Location.

WCEI

Occupation
President/Owner, Wayne Cook Electric, Inc.
We had a customer contact us for a quote to install a 20 kw Kohler generator, (that the customer has already purchased). The customer is adamant about placing the generator under a deck. Kohler literature says 60” from combustibles must be maintained. First, I do not believe 60” clearance could be obtained under this deck. Secondly, we are totally opposed to locating the generator under a structure of any type. For clarification, this deck is elevated on post and is open on three sides. Another contractor quoted the job stating that 36” clearance is adequate. I cry foul. We are not a
Kohler dealer, but the literature on line that we found says 60”.

My questions to you are: does the NEC or the IBC say anything about clearance other than complying with UL? NFPA 37 requires 60”. Generac clearly states that you shall NOT place their generators under a deck. All help will be appreciated. Even if we don’t do this job, I am trying to be sure the customer makes an informed decision. Thank you all.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The NEC says that any manufacturer instructions that are part of the listing of the equipment must be followed. So if they say their equipment cannot be installed under a deck then it cannot go there.

110.3(B) Installation and Use.
Equipment that is listed, labeled, or both shall be installed and used in accordance with any instructions included in the listing or labeling.

WCEI

Occupation
The NEC says that any manufacturer instructions that are part of the listing of the equipment must be followed. So if they say their equipment cannot be installed under a deck then it cannot go there.
I agree, the problem so far is that I have not seen that prohibition specifically for a Kohler, (which is what the customer has purchased).

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I agree, the problem so far is that I have not seen that prohibition specifically for a Kohler, (which is what the customer has purchased).
You won't find much help in the NEC which basically defers to the manufacturer's instructions.

Birken Vogt

I've had this discussion with Kohler and they do not have a real clear answer.

Being in the Midwest they do not seem to understand a deck can be 10 or 20 feet high like here in the mountains. To them a deck is just ground level.

However it goes with the instructions, they tell us to maintain the min. clearances on all sides including the top.

In my opinion it does not go under a deck unless there is complete adequate clearance for a tall man to work underneath strictly for service access, working space must be maintained like any equipment except it's on all 3 sides of a generator.

Also all exhaust must promptly and cleanly exit the area.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Years ago, I installed a stationary genny. When it came time to set it, nobody had a minimum distance from the wall. The county said it was determined by the instructions, and the instructions said it was determined by local requirements.

So I decided on about eight to ten inches. I put a street elbow between the rubber isolation hose and the genny's gas inlet so it almost hugged the wall, and another elbow at the wall outlet the plumber put in for the propane.

WCEI

Occupation
Years ago, I installed a stationary genny. When it came time to set it, nobody had a minimum distance from the wall. The county said it was determined by the instructions, and the instructions said it was determined by local requirements.

So I decided on about eight to ten inches. I put a street elbow between the rubber isolation hose and the genny's gas inlet so it almost hugged the wall, and another elbow at the wall outlet the plumber put in for the propane.
Larry, the customer actually lives in Hanover. We are going to call Code Compiance in the morning just to get their opinion.

Eddie, if we put it in, it AIN’T going under the deck. Call me old school, but I don’t care if it doesn’t violate the UL listing, I will just not put it there.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
Is the 60 inch clearance for all sides and the top?
If I could maintain 60 inches of clearance putting it under the deck would not phase me one bit.

Birken Vogt

NFPA 37, stationary engine code, has always required all stationary engine units to be minimum 5' from combustible construction, unless the manufacturer lists it to be less. 18" from the back is the norm now, never seen less.

The deck issue is not really addressed there, because the codes have not really kept up with the small home standby generator explosion.

Seven-Delta-FortyOne

Goin’ Down In Flames........
Occupation
EC and GC
60 inches seems like a lot. I don't think I've ever seen a generator that far from a house.

Morons in my County require 10’ from the house, even if there is no operable window.

I even sent them Generac’s specs that only require 5’, and they wouldn’t budge. So all my installs are at least 10’ from the house. 😡

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
NFPA 37, stationary engine code, has always required all stationary engine units to be minimum 5' from combustible construction, unless the manufacturer lists it to be less. 18" from the back is the norm now, never seen less.

The deck issue is not really addressed there, because the codes have not really kept up with the small home standby generator explosion.
Its in 4.1.4 of NFPA 37
4.1.4.1 says 5 feet from any openings in the structure (no exceptions)
4.1.4.2 says 5 feet from combustible walls with 3 exceptions
the first exception says if the wall has a 1 hour fire rating.