Home Standby Generator Location.

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
Morons in my County require 10’ from the house, even if there is no operable window.

I even sent them Generac’s specs that only require 5’, and they wouldn’t budge. So all my installs are at least 10’ from the house. 😡
Something does not add up next time ask them for the county code reference or ordinance, I'd be curious if there is one.
From what I can tell Humboldt just adopts the California Building Code;
2022 California Building Code, Title 24,

Then if you refer to the California Building Code, Title 24 section 442.1
it adopts NFPA 37:

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
Yes, correct on both! You get two cookies! Such a good boy🤠
>PBBBBKT!< I don't see 5' as being excessively far from the building!

If you want the distance to be less than 5', can you use the same wall treatments you'd use for an interior wood stove?

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
Unless it's an extremely quiet generator I personally wouldn't want it too close. Same with the fuel tank. NG not available in my area and I have LP but it's at least 20 feet from my house. Just a little leary.....

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
If the deck is high enough to allow one to walk under it to service the unit and all clearances have been met, I can't see why it couldn't. Instructions say not near a deck. What's near??

IMG_2405.jpeg

Birken Vogt

Its in 4.1.4 of NFPA 37
4.1.4.1 says 5 feet from any openings in the structure (no exceptions)
4.1.4.2 says 5 feet from combustible walls with 3 exceptions
the first exception says if the wall has a 1 hour fire rating.
If you want the distance to be less than 5', can you use the same wall treatments you'd use for an interior wood stove?
I think you just need a fire resistance rating of at least 1 hour.
The other exception is

"The weatherproof enclosure is constructed of noncombustible materials and it has
been demonstrated that a fire within the enclosure will not ignite combustible
materials outside the enclosure."

All major mfrs now list their products specifically putting this listing on the sticker in the enclosure.

Seven-Delta-FortyOne

Goin’ Down In Flames........
Occupation
EC and GC
Something does not add up next time ask them for the county code reference or ordinance, I'd be curious if there is one.
From what I can tell Humboldt just adopts the California Building Code;
2022 California Building Code, Title 24,

Then if you refer to the California Building Code, Title 24 section 442.1
it adopts NFPA 37:

It's in their handout for generator installs. I believe it's because of concern over wildfires. We're seeing a lot of WUI stuff showing up here, even along the coast.

Seven-Delta-FortyOne

Goin’ Down In Flames........
Occupation
EC and GC
That is surprising considering what all goes on in your county.

I'm surprised Nevada County, or any County in the Sierra Nevadas, would be more strict than any where else.

Then again, Humboldt does have a history of being pretty outlaw. They did just spend the last 40 years growing, processing, and selling drugs right under the noses of local, State, and Federal governments. So I suppose, like any outlaw outback, regulations tend to be a bizarre mix of overly stringent and nonexistent, leaving one to merely scratch their head in bewilderment.

Birken Vogt

I'm surprised Nevada County, or any County in the Sierra Nevadas, would be more strict than any where else.
Our county, Nevada, is actually quite reasonable, for the moment. Placer County is terrible, months of bureaucracy to get a permit. Sierra County is the second smallest population in the state and they have their moments. Butte and Yuba also doing what they can to get in the way.