Homeline Breaker Compatabilty

Status
Not open for further replies.

kbsparky

I know that ITE breakers now have the additional recess on the back so they will "fit" into Homeline panels. And the Cutler-Hammer type CL breakers are also classified for use in Homelines.

I did not know that the GE's were made that way and classified for Homeline use. That's a new one on me. :-?

dwellselectric

Inactive, Email Never Verified
Dude I saw a way to make other breakers to fit all you do is use a hacksaw and cuk the slit in any breaker and it will work!!! hahah jk but I have seen a few people do that as freaky as it seems

Inspectorcliff

Wrong Wrong

Wrong Wrong

Inspectorcliff said:
I did an inspection on a home (a final) and discovered that there was a G.E. breaker in the HOM panel. I informed the R.E.C. (registered electrical contractor) that this was a listing and labeling error as per 110.3 of the 2005 N.E.C. He informed me that the breaker would work in the panel. I said, I agree, but it is not listed for it. So, he retrieved the box it came in and the instruction sheet and promptly showed me where it was listed for that panel and several others. (Some one hand me a towel, I feel like I have egg on my face.) Live and learn.;)
Once again, my memory failed. It had been quite a while back and I got to thinking was what I said really what I meant? No, It was Cutler Hammer with a Bryant OCD. I think that is what the job was. HOM to my understanding has no interchangeables, and neither does G.E. Hope I haven't confused anyone to badly.
:mad:

Inspectorcliff

kbsparky said:
I know that ITE breakers now have the additional recess on the back so they will "fit" into Homeline panels. And the Cutler-Hammer type CL breakers are also classified for use in Homelines.

I did not know that the GE's were made that way and classified for Homeline use. That's a new one on me. :-?
I don't know about that, but from what I have read, G.E. is for G.E. only and HOM line has none that will interchange. But, Cutler Hammer and Bryant do. I think this is now correct.:cool:

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
According to the UL Classification procedure it is up to the breaker manufacturer to decide which panels their breakers will fit into.

If the breaker is not classified then it cannot be used in other manufacturer's equipment. The Q&A I posted tells me, that Square D does not classify their HOM breakers

Status
Not open for further replies.