Hospital Codes

Status
Not open for further replies.

tharrison

I,m a Hospital Safety Officer for the past year and haven't been in this field before. I'm a Master Electrician with 10 years in the single family dwelling/ residental area. my question is we had a visit from two fire marshal's in the past year. we are a 45 year old building. the first fire marshal said we can't have wire touching conduit, and the second one says it can touch conduit but can't be supported by conduit. By the way i'm talking low voltage wire(cat5-6, phone, speakers). Who is right? Also i found in the offices that are not in Patient Care areas, that the electrician that wired this building used type NM wire not AC, is this allowed ?

iwire

Staff member
Conduits / raceways are not allowed to be used for support of other things in any location. (There is a specific exception for somethings but I doubt it applies to your question)

As far as the NM, it could have been and might still be OK depending on the type of building construction.

raider1

Staff member
Welcome to the forum.:)

Bob pointed out that raceways and conduit generally can't support other raceways or cables. The NEC code section for that would be 300.11(B).

(B) Raceways Used as Means of Support. Raceways
shall be used only as a means of support for other raceways,
cables, or nonelectrical equipment under any of the
following conditions:
(1) Where the raceway or means of support is identified for
the purpose
(2) Where the raceway contains power supply conductors
for electrically controlled equipment and is used to support
Class 2 circuit conductors or cables that are solely
for the purpose of connection to the equipment control
circuits
(3) Where the raceway is used to support boxes or conduit
bodies in accordance with 314.23 or to support luminaires
in accordance with 410.36(E)

Chris

tharrison

What do you mean regarding building construction and the NM cable in our Hospital?

What do you mean regarding building construction and the NM cable in our Hospital?

Do i need to find Blue Prints? I can't seem to find code for the use of NM in Hospital, in none Patient areas

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Do i need to find Blue Prints? I can't seem to find code for the use of NM in Hospital, in none Patient areas. thanks for your help
See 517.10, 11, and 12, for wiring that will be allowed in Patient Care Areas, besides that, the use of NM is as Iwire says.

Also see 334.10 and 12

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.