Hospital grade equipment receptacles

david

I know we talk about the label on the cord for this type of equipment in a doctors office

But have we ever talked about the hospital grade rec. The manufacture provides with this examination chair 1000001517.jpg

david

I think we have. What is your question?
Should the hospital grade rec. Be left alone, The rec for the branch circuit is not hospital grade.

You can't install a three prong rec in place of a two prong rec because the equipment ground is compromised usually non existent.

If you have a hospital grade rec isn't the green dot indicating a certain standard of equipment grounding. Supplying that rec?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Should the hospital grade rec. Be left alone, The rec for the branch circuit is not hospital grade.

You can't install a three prong rec in place of a two prong rec because the equipment ground is compromised usually non existent.

If you have a hospital grade rec isn't the green dot indicating a certain standard of equipment grounding. Supplying that rec?
The dot just means it is built to HG strength, they are not just for patient care wiring methods. I worked at one hospital that only stocked HG receptacles and used them everywhere, even outside.

See the attachment in post #7 in the thread below.

david

I understand your point for the branch circuit rec.

I was thinking more of the implied benefit of HG rec on the chair itself. Since the chair itself is not plug into a hospital grade rec, than it seems kind of deceptive to imply your getting any benefit of and kind of improved grounding concept.

It's not really an NEC issue more like an nfpa 99 issue.

I guess if the rec on the chair was damaged you replace it with a HG rec.